We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No idea where to stay?

birmingham
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
No idea where to stay?

My son is taking me to Dubai mid June but we have no idea where to stay?

We want to visit malls and the beach?

Planning on a 5 day trip and the Conrad and JW Marriott marquis both look good value but we are not sure whether location is any good?

Maria

Best Seller
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,968 Reviews
from USD 67.40*
Special Offer
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
399 Reviews
from USD 43.00*
USD 48.00
Special Offer
Desert Safari in Dubai with Barbecue...
138 Reviews
from USD 53.00*
USD 59.00
15 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No idea where to stay?

Lots of advice on similar threads in forum, just read back a little.

Location is always my first tip, as it catches some folk out. Dubai is a linear city, rather than radial, and is often different neighbourhoods with differing degrees of development.

My second tip is then to decide one factor is your priority - chain, cost, value, standard of hotel, on-site facilities, swimming pool, service levels etc. This will help narrow down the oodles of choices.

As a general rule, if I had to recommend an 'everyman' hotel for Dubai it would be JW Marriott Marquis.

Positives - amazing looking hotels, an abundance on superb on-site restaurants, and astounding club lounge, exceptional service levels, terrific loyalty programs and always deals to be had for the savvy shopper. Very close to Downtown Dubai by taxi for your fix of Dubai Mall, Burj Khalifa, Fountains etc.

Negatives - it's in Business Bay, with not a lot immediately around it (if you like to walk around the hotel exterior for shops, cafes etc.)

The Conrad is another excellent hotel I'd heartily recommend, although in recent years there seems to murmurings of erratic service. I can only advise on my own visits, and three or four visits have always been exceptionally well looked after. Any hotel that offers a range of proper TWG gourmet tea, and a concierge service offering three or four different bathroom amenities clearly takes service seriously IMO.

Top of SZR is a great location to find some exceptional value for luxury hotels like Conrad, Sheraton Grand and The H at lower prices than you'd expect to pay for the class of hotel. It's a little closer to Deira and Old Dubai (ideal for souks, creek etc.) and still close enough to Financial Centre and Downtown. Metro overpass is directly outside the hotel entrance, so you're only a five minute walk to Metro Red Line.

Ps. If he's paying, tell him it's Burj Al Arab or no deal 😄

birmingham
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No idea where to stay?

Thank you for your response, however I am still a little confused 😳 Which one of the 2 is in a better area for malls and beach?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No idea where to stay?

The reply stated : " Very close to Downtown Dubai by taxi for your fix of Dubai Mall, Burj Khalifa, Fountains etc." for JWMMD.

Neither has direct access to a beach, though Conrad is closer to the beach.

As for malls, the 'main' (subject to interpretation) malls are in three different areas - Dubai Mall (Downtown), Mall of Emirates (Al Barsha) and Ibn Battuta (Discovery Gardens/Jebel Ali).

SZR and Business Bay are closest to Dubai Mall. JWMMD is closer to Mall of Emirates than Conrad.

There's always Google Maps for a better guide for distance/directions. Honestly, it's well worth looking around on it to be familiar with layout of Dubai, as it catches a lot of people as almost everyone needs to use taxis or other transport to get around.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 16:55
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,733 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No idea where to stay?

You have no idea because you've done no or little research yet.

Spending some time doing basic research will help a lot & improve your knowledge of the city & its attractions

In Dubai, as I use the metro a lot, I look for hotels within my budget within 10mins of a metro station

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
3,739 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No idea where to stay?

Between the two, I would say the Conrad is in a more "lived in" area with more amenities close by.

The JW Marriott Marquis is in a quieter area and I believe there is still a fair bit of construction in that vicinity.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No idea where to stay?

resisting this question because something makes me ponder.

How can you determine they are good value if you don't know if they fit your needs? Surely that's no value...

Take a look at this for a quick run through the areas in Dubai, and there's a link in the article/site to 18 Business Class hotels generally available for lower than the cost of a brunch.

Sadly, research is the only way to get value in Dubai. Don't forget to weigh up the transport options and likely costs too, as this often catches folk unawares.

http://qr.ae/TUTraC

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No idea where to stay?

Shaun is correct. It’s hard to come to an informed decision if you haven’t worked out what you are doing in the city.

I love the Marriott - have stayed their with family and run a couple of conferences out of there too. Excellent service and the Vault is worth a trip too... We always had a car or drivers so didn’t feel isolated. Shuttle to Dubai Mall...

Used to live near the Conrad and there is a lot going on. For a good all round position, that area is hard to beat in my opinion: close to Dubai Mall and the old town, metro outside. 100aed round trip to DXB. Lots of cafes/supermarkets between the hotel and the Shangri La (along the same drag) including Tim Hortons, Starbucks, Izzi Pizza ...

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
47,865 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No idea where to stay?

If I was choosing from those two hotels I would pick the Conrad - simply because it is a more convenient location and there is more going on in the immediate vicinity

Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No idea where to stay?

Any Hotel on starting of the Sheikh Zayed Road would be a good choice as you said you want to visit Malls and beach as well. Moreover, there are a lot of cafes and hangout places in the vicinity. You will have Dubai metro connectivity to visit the shopping malls and you can get a cab to go to Jumeirah Beach which is just 10Km away and take only approximately 10 minutes to reach.

10. Re: No idea where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2018, 23:30

Reply to: No idea where to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted