We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs/exchanges

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
305 posts
71 reviews
ATMs/exchanges

I've read through a lot of threads on ATMs and exchanges and much of the advice is to exchange or get a little cash from the ATM at the airport to cover the taxi and then get more cash later. Is there a particular reason for that, such as ATMs having a worse exchange rate at the airport? I ask because my bank charges me a fee each time I use the ATM, so I like to withdraw large sums to keep the number of withdrawals down.

Also, if there are ATMs that are known for better exchange rates than others, please let me know.

Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
1 review
1. Re: ATMs/exchanges

Yes, the exchange rate at airport ATMs is a bit lower. Best rates are via the guys at the kiosks in the Malls. Ask for their very best rate, can often work in your favour, especially if you’re exchanging a large amount.

cheltenham
Level Contributor
290 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: ATMs/exchanges

Old fashioned I know, but what I do is withdraw all the cash I need before I travel. I then change a small sum either at my local currency exchange or when I arrive at one of the UAE international airports for taxi fares etc. I then change my money as and when needed, at any of the currency exchanges, in one of the malls as the exchange rate is more beneficial.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 09:39
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,751 posts
2,353 reviews
3. Re: ATMs/exchanges

Last year I noted that the ATMs in Dubai airport was charging a fee for usage which they did not have before.

County Limerick...
Level Contributor
215 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: ATMs/exchanges

Hi Mia0209,

Just 2 questions on your post,

are there any issues bring a large amount of money into the country,and secondly do the currency exchanges at the malls readily accept euros as well as pound notes.

C.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,746 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: ATMs/exchanges

How much is a large amount ?

I assume you are going to have less than £20,000 because that is the limit.

I wouldn't take that much cash with me - what if you lose it ?

I take about £200 to change - £100 at the airport and the rest in the malls. Euros are accepted at every exchange house.

I use an ATM machine if I need any more

London, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
1 review
6. Re: ATMs/exchanges

The exchanges take any currency, that’s their purpose! People from all over the world come into Dubai, or most other countries for that matter, and they’re using a myriad of currencies so why wouldn’t they accept euros? Large amounts of money moving in and out of countries have to be declared at the airports.

County Limerick...
Level Contributor
215 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: ATMs/exchanges

Hi Latimer,you can subtract a few zeros from that £20,000 to find my limit!

Good to know though if I ever win the lotto!

C.

cheltenham
Level Contributor
290 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: ATMs/exchanges

#4.Claire, unfortunately I have never been in a position to bring in large quantities of cash! Lol!! I have a very modest budget, hence bringing cash with me.

As with sterling there should be no problem exchanging euros.

Have a great time

Edited: 14 May 2018, 20:36
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
305 posts
71 reviews
9. Re: ATMs/exchanges

Thanks for the helpful information everyone!

Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,639 posts
130 reviews
10. Re: ATMs/exchanges

When changing money in kiosks, is ID or other document required, or just hand over the cash?

Also, are the kiosks just in malls, and are there any money changers one should avoid?

Thanks.

Reply to: ATMs/exchanges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted