We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

QE2 area?

Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
QE2 area?

We are considering staying on QE2 , is there much in walking distance... shops, sightseeing, food etc?

Thanks

Best Seller
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,966 Reviews
from USD 67.40*
Special Offer
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
397 Reviews
from USD 43.00*
USD 48.00
Special Offer
Desert Safari in Dubai with Barbecue...
136 Reviews
from USD 53.00*
USD 59.00
11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: QE2 area?

Check out the many websites about the QE2 and the area it’s located in, one I’ve just read tells how long it takes to drive by car to attractions (QE2.com.)Dubai is over 50 ml long so many places require transport of some kind, tram, metro or taxi, only a few are within walking distance of each other. Google maps help tremendously, take a look on street view for eg and look for what’s around.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 18:29
Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
47,865 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: QE2 area?

Nothing within walking distance of QE2, especially if you will be there between end of April to end of October - too hot to walk far.

Taxi will be your only option as you are not close to a metro station either on the plus side taxis are safe, clean, metered and cheaper than UK

I think you might find one or two nights on QE2 is sufficient combined with a more conveniently located hotel for other nights

Edited: 11 May 2018, 20:17
Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: QE2 area?

Thanks. Only considering a night or two and don't wanna be locked in to QE2 for all meals and entertainment. I see Carrefour, Maccas and a few small cafes are not far away but not sure of crossing major roads? Is it ok to cross anywhere or must use pedestrian crossings if/where available? Taxi is always an option, just don't wanna stay in a "dead" area. We have a free night accom in downtown and tossing up whether to stay longer there or move to another area? Just tossing up ideas...

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,567 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: QE2 area?

You have to use pedestrian crossings - jaywalking is illegal.

Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: QE2 area?

Thanks Huge.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
47,865 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: QE2 area?

'You can see' Carrefour and it looks as though it's not too far away - you won't want to walk there though and you'll be getting a taxi

cheltenham
Level Contributor
241 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: QE2 area?

On our way to the main bus station in Dubai a couple of weeks ago, the QE2 was visible from the road. Apart from a busy highway and a small mall with a Carrefour there was was nothing that I could see, that would be of any interest within the local area. You will reliant on taxis as both the nearest metro stop and bus station are too far away, plus the obstacle of navigating a busy highway.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 19:08
Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: QE2 area?

Thanks all, it seems a bit isolated as I expected. Maybe our last night there will do just for the experience? We will think it over, cheers.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
4,399 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: QE2 area?

Don't know when you're visiting but the hotel website mentions a shuttle service 'coming soon.'

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: QE2 area?

I think there was probably more happening around the QE2 when it went to the Falklands war than it its present location 😄

Perhaps the closest 'attraction' of any note would be Pearl Jumeirah, specifically Nikki Beach. A little further down from there you've Jumeirah Beach, Kite Beach, La Mer etc.

I'd suggest one night, to say you've done it, then spend time in a more happening location.

Mentioned in this post
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
5,848 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Nikki Beach Resort & Spa Dubai
Nikki Beach Resort & Spa...
603 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Kite Beach
Kite Beach
1,244 Reviews