We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

The price is considerably cheaper to stay in the Meridien but from what I can gather the rooms are better in the Westin and the service better?

Please can anyone give their opinion on the Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi regarding

Service ?

Rooms?

Bathrooms?

Breakfast ?

Wow Factor ?

The only other consideration at the moment would be the Waldorf Palm?

thanks everyone as always

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina
The Westin Dubai Mina...
3,390 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Le Meridien Mina Seyahi Beach Resort and Marina
Le Meridien Mina Seyahi...
2,607 Reviews
13 replies to this topic
Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

I haven’t stayed in Meridien Mina Seyahi but I’ve stayed in The Westin and my in laws stayed next door at The Meridien at the same time so had a nosey in their room. The rooms in Meridien are perfectly adequate but in no way compare to those at The Westin

The Westin has much larger rooms and the bathrooms are far superior albeit a little dated in places . Meridien bathrooms still have a shower over a bath.

The Westin is the superior hotel even the toiletries are better and the buffet restaurant in Meridien is not as good as The Westin

That said the hotels share facilities and if you’re on a HB package you can use restaurants in either its only breakfast where you have to eat in your hotel

Therefore if it’s considerably cheaper and you’re not bothered about the room opt for Le Meridien

I’m not a huge fan of the main pool at The Westin as it’s narrow and winding and actually preferred Meridien pool

Whilst i really like The Westin I don’t think either of them have wow factor, Westin has a great lobby and some lovely restaurants but I find the hotel a little soulless

It has a nice stretch of beach and a good location but I prefer Le Royal Meridien

As far WA that does have wow factor but you then sacrifice the location

Mentioned in this post
2,607 Reviews
Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa
Le Royal Meridien Beach...
6,918 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

Westin - always have the most comfortable bed (the "heavenly" bed) in any hotel I've stayed in.

Toiletries - Le Meridien have upped their smelly game of late with upgraded to Malin and Goetz. Westin were always a bit wishy washy (no pun intended) with the amenities.

Westin is more of an upscale, corporate brand in Starwood's portfolio than le Meridien (whose niche is all about design apparently).

Myself, I prefer Le Meridien Mina Seyahi if only for many happy memories (and no doubt some I've forgot) about Barasti.

That said, it's really much of a muchness - both are fine hotels although I felt the rooms at LM seem more dated (even though they were refurbished a few years back, one can tell)

Without a doubt, the Waldorf Astoria is a better class of hotel (it's meant to be - WA is Hilton's top end leisure hotel) but you're sacrificing practicality, convenience and location.

Have you thought about Grosvenor House, as there's some amazing deals swimming around there - and you can then use Le Royal Meridien (which is a better option than either of the two Mina hotels)

Finally, don't forget Starwood offer third night free when booking with Mastercard...

Mentioned in this post
2,607 Reviews
Grosvenor House Dubai
Grosvenor House Dubai
5,153 Reviews
Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa
Le Royal Meridien Beach...
6,918 Reviews
Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

I stayed in the LRM (Tower Room) a few years back but have been put off with the construction next door plus i think it’s slightly dated now 😔

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

Have you given any though to The Rixos Premium? I stayed there on my last visit

It ticked all the boxes in terms of location plus it had some popular bars,it’s quite new as well

The pool got shaded at certain times of the day due to the actual hotel overshadowing it but I was there late Dec/early Jan however there’s plenty sunbeds on the beach

Mentioned in this post
Rixos Premium Dubai
Rixos Premium Dubai
661 Reviews
Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

Thanks Hannah i did have a quick look but the rating on TA put me off at about 150. What’s your top 3 hotels in Dubai (being a veteran lol)

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

Trollking - that's why I suggested booking GH not LRM, you're more likely to get a deal. As for being dated, it's been refurbished quite extensively perhaps since your last visit.

What's your main dealbreaker for the hotel you're looking for? Price? Pool? Pork? Hard to recommend without really knowing, as it sounds like price is the main factor from the info above. The two Mina Seyahi hotels are generally quite popular and don't discount as much as some of the other Marina or SPG hotels. Personally, I think there's better classes of hotel in the Marina and also at better value (not necc. lower cost)

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
47,865 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

Hi Trollking

The algorithm for the ranking on TA is a mystery to all of us. Just because something has a ranking of 150 doesn't mean it is the 150th ranked hotel in Dubai. All sorts of things contribute to the ranking including how long an hotel has been open and therefore available to review

Hannah may have a top 3, as do I, but in all probability they will be a different top 3 and I can almost certainly guarantee that both of us will have a top 3 that is different to the one on TA.

If you think TA ranking is the way to decide then stay in the one that is currently ranked number 1, which is Raffles, although it's not on the beach and whilst it has a lot going for it is definitely not the number one hotel in Dubai.

Also take a look at the You Tube video produced by a 20 something final year social media student who set out to demonstrate how social media rankings can be manipulated by many things.

He set himself an objective to get a completely fictitious restaurant called The Shed to be the number 1 rated restaurant in London - this was out of more than 18,000 restaurants and in just under one year his fictitious restaurant achieved the number 1 spot. Rankings are not always the key

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Raffles Dubai
Raffles Dubai
3,977 Reviews
London
London
England, UK
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

@Latimer - excellent synopsis and insight on the rankings.

It does make one think and reflect that if a commercial site has a ratings system, can one truly be confident that some of the weightings may also be attributed to the hotels that pay it the better commissions?

Maybe I'm just 'old school' but do despair at the generation that fall for the 'social media influencer' content and interpret it as objective or experienced analysis, or (heaven forbid) a 'review'. Likewise, when people ask for the 'best' but the reality is their best is different to another's.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

Thanks for all your opinions and i sort of agree with your observations on the TA ranking system. However in saying that i always try and pick a hotel in the top 20% on the TA ranking and i have never felt let down or disappointed. In answer to your other observations, i would like to try the Westin but its a bit pricey compared to the Meridien. The Waldolf PAlm is showing some good HB options. I do have a good understanding of Dubai hotels having stayed in 4 good ones but fancied a change and wanted other opinions :-)

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
10. Re: Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2018, 21:21
Edited: 31 May 2018, 21:21

Reply to: Westin Mina Seyahi v Le Meridien Mina Seyahi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted