We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

messed up planning - too much time in LP?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
70 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
messed up planning - too much time in LP?

Due to some mess up in my planning, I have now 9 days in Luang Prabang before taking the trip up the river to HX. Can someone advice me on a short trip I can take from Luang Prabang (but I need to get back there for the boat). Maybe an overnight stay, short 2-3 day trip, home-stay etc? We are a family of 4, so flying is no option as too expensive. Thank you!

Also, I am trying to book the Monsavanh Guesthouse In Pakbeng. Is that a good place, and does someone know how to contact them?

Thanks!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,518 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: messed up planning - too much time in LP?

How about a side trip to the Plain of Jars in Phonsavan - highly recommended

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: messed up planning - too much time in LP?

I would also recommend the Plain of Jars.

Radnor, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
37 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: messed up planning - too much time in LP?

just stopped in Pakbeng and wanted to stay at the Monsavanh but it was full. It looked nice and we ate in the restaurant which was nice. But basically it is only one night and any room in Pakbeng, even the truly crappy ones are fine.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: messed up planning - too much time in LP?

Definitely take the trip to Phonsavan and the Plain of Jars.

Lao Youth Travel in Phonsavan can fix you up with a great selection of day trip options.

I recommend one that covers the main jar site, "Bomb Village" and hot springs.

Radnor, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
37 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: messed up planning - too much time in LP?

We are now in Phonsavan and while the plain of jars is great you should know that it is an 8 hour drive here so it is not a quick day trip by any means. It is a solid day here and a solid day back. You can see all three of the main Jar sites easy in one day but you probably want to stay two days to justify all that traveling. We are a family of 6 and hired a minivan for $150 from Luang Prabang which was only $30 more than the regular bus and we could stop anywhere we wanted which was important as everyone was feeling woozy from all the twists and turns.

6. Re: messed up planning - too much time in LP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:41
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang