We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Several days in northern Morocco - need advice

Saint Paul...
7 posts
Save Topic
Several days in northern Morocco - need advice

In early May we will be flying into Tangier getting in on a Thursday morning. The only "MUST" on the trip is visiting Tetuan where my father was raised. We need to be in Granada, Spain by Monday afternoon. Various people have recommended doing just Tangier and Tetouan, or possibly including Asilah or Chefchauen. From what I've read Chefchauen looks better. What would be the best way to do Tangier, Tetouan and Chefchauen and get to Granada on Monday? We can take the ferry to Algeciras Sunday night and travel up to Granada Monday morning. This would maximize our time in Morocco. Or, we could stop in Gibraltar (where my patents got married) and possibly somewhere in Spain along the way if we leave earlier on Sunday.

Mentioned in this post
Tangier
Tangier
Tangier-Tetouan Region, Morocco
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Tetouan
Tetouan
Asilah
Asilah
Algeciras
Algeciras
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Spain
Spain
Europe
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,860 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Several days in northern Morocco - need advice

sounds like you have only 3 nights and want to visit 3 places so you are going to be pretty rushed - at least all 3 have regular bus connections or you can take a grand taxi for extra flexibility on timings.

Do check the 'Things To Do' tab at the top of the page if you havent done so already.

this thread may be of use: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293…

Tangier, Morocco
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Several days in northern Morocco - need advice

Hello,

I will be glad to give you the info you need, i'm from Tangier and i go to Tetouan and Chefchaouen a lot. 3 days for your plan is gonna be tough but not impossible if you organise well your trip.

You can stay in Tangier, i mean always going back to spend the night. For tetouan, you can take a cab (The white ones that you will find in the bus station, or you can take the bus), The difference is that the bus take longer to get there. By cab it takes between 30 to 45 minutes, by bus 1 hour. (If you need the prices details too i can check them for you, it's been a long time that i didn't go by cab or bus so the prices have changed since)

Tetouan is a very small city, not a lot of things to do there, So if it's juts to visit the city where your father was raised, one day would be more than enough. You can go early in the morning and come back to Tangier in the evening.

Chefchaouen is a very cute city, i'm sure you are gonna love it. Here you have the choice of doing the same plan of Tetouan, means going to visit just for the day and go back to Tangier or you can stay in one of their gorgeous little riads. i can recommend you some as i go there often. The only thing that you need to keep in mind is that if you want to go from Tangier to Chefchaouen, the only way is going by a cab.

Assilah is 30 minutes by train from Tangier, or you can take a bus or a white cab. Beautiful and chilled out place.

My personal advice as someone who knows these 3 places well i would recommend you this simple plan:

- Spend thursday night in Tangier.

- Friday morning go to Chefchaouen and spend the night there.

- Saturday morning take a cab from Chefchaouen to Tetouan.

- Go back to spend the night in Tangier.

- Sunday you have the choice to take a white cab to Assilah or to visit the beach side of Tangier which is something you really don't wanna miss.

If you need more info don't hesitate to ask :)

Mentioned in this post
Tangier
Tangier
Tetouan
Tetouan
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Saint Paul...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Several days in northern Morocco - need advice

Because of the long distance between Tangier and Chefchauen (4 hrs), would it make more sense to not back track. Tangier Thurs. and Fri, Tetuan on Sat. and Chefchauen Sat. nite and Sun. Then go to Ceuta later on Sun. and spend the night in Algeciras and on Mon. go to Granada. What would we do with our luggage while in Tetuan?

Is that enough time in Tetuan or should we spend the night there Friday night? That would mean sleeping in each city.

Thanks so much for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Tangier
Tangier
Ceuta
Ceuta
Spain
Algeciras
Algeciras
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Granada
Granada
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,267 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Several days in northern Morocco - need advice

I would satisfied me to stay only in Tangier and do the trip to Tetouan, 3 days are not so much and if you want to do all those places you will be mostly only on the way and get a little time to see anything deeply.

Edited: 25 February 2016, 21:32
Mentioned in this post
Tangier
Tangier
Tetouan
Tetouan
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Several days in northern Morocco - need advice

Or maybe a day trip to Asilah, which is very beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Asilah
Asilah
Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
912 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Several days in northern Morocco - need advice

There are generally two CTM buses daily from Tangier to Chefchaouen. One leaves at 12.15 and arrives and 15.00 and the other leaves at 20.30 and arrives at 22.50. I think you would need to take a local petit taxi from the bus station to your hotel in the town as it is a bit of an uphill walk. Best to check on the website nearer to your visit to see if there are any changes to this timetable. The fare is 45 dirhams. (Website: www.ctm.ma). There are other bus companies; you would need to check at the Gare Routiere. Taxi fare is upwards of 600 dirhams (for the whole taxi, not shared of course).

I think you are going to have to forget Asilah.

You could take a taxi from the airport into Tangier town and spend Thursday afternoon and most of Friday in Tangier (Friday is couscous day of course) and then in the late afternoon take either a bus or taxi (your best bet) to Chefchaouen, where you could spend Friday night and until late Saturday afternoon. Then a taxi or bus to Tetouan, where you could spend Saturday night and all day Sunday. You could then cross the border early on Sunday evening (remember that Spain is normally one hour ahead of Morocco time) and catch a ferry around 21.00. There are several reasonable hotels just across the road from the ferry terminal and the bus station is just a short walk from those hotels.

Avanza bus website shows a 07.30 departure from Algeciras to Granada which would get you into Granada at 11.30, but best to recheck the timetable nearer to your travel date in case of changes.

A bit of a whistlestop tour it's true, but it is doable. I don't know what your budget is, but I think that taxis are the key to making this itinerary work.

Mentioned in this post
Tangier
Tangier
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Asilah
Asilah
Tetouan
Tetouan
Spain
Spain
Europe
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Algeciras
Algeciras
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Granada
Granada
Saint Paul...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Several days in northern Morocco - need advice

What do you think of reversing Tetouan/Chefchaouen? Go to Tetouan first and spend night in Chechaouen, and got to Cueta from there? Would you recommend we spend the night in Algeciras and take an eaaly train on Mon. to Granada to maximize our time in Morocco?

Mentioned in this post
Tetouan
Tetouan
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Algeciras
Algeciras
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Granada
Granada
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
912 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Several days in northern Morocco - need advice

I suppose you could reverse it. I think the important thing is to get to Ceuta and take the ferry on the Sunday night, and stay in Algeciras overnight. Then you can take the early bus from Algeciras to Granada.

Mentioned in this post
Ceuta
Ceuta
Spain
Algeciras
Algeciras
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Granada
Granada
Saint Paul...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Several days in northern Morocco - need advice

Do you have recommendations for hotels in Tangier, Chefchauen and Algeciras?

Mentioned in this post
Tangier
Tangier
Algeciras
Algeciras
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Several days in northern Morocco - need advice

You have to be more specific. Do you want luxury or basic? Or even mid range?

Get answers to your questions about Tetouan
More Tetouan Topics