We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day trip to Morocco: Tangiers, Tetouan, M'Diq, Chefchouan

Yorba Linda...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5 day trip to Morocco: Tangiers, Tetouan, M'Diq, Chefchouan

I am going to San Sebastian, Spain and Sintra, Portugal in June and I would really like to visit the above places in Morocco, but I only have one week at the most. I would fly into Tangiers, spend 2 nights, visit Tetouan, spend 2 nights in M'Diq then visit Chefchouan and spend one night there. The next day, I would need to take the ferry back to Tarifa and a bus onto Seville before making my way to San Sebastian. My concern is the overhead involved in getting to Morocco and all the way back up to San Sebastian in one week. Another caveat is that we may have up to 8 people in our group traveling together. Can anyone put this into perspective for me?

Mentioned in this post
Sebastian
Sebastian
516 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Tetouan
Tetouan
Tangier-Tetouan Region, Morocco
Tarifa
Tarifa
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,436 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day trip to Morocco: Tangiers, Tetouan, M'Diq, Chefchouan

M'Diq is a bit seedy, personally I'd prefer Oued Laou which is on the coast further to the east. I'd also schedule longer in Chefchaouen.

You say you have a week, but have only detailed five nights.

Don't understand your comment on perspective, what do you mean?

Mentioned in this post
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Yorba Linda...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day trip to Morocco: Tangiers, Tetouan, M'Diq, Chefchouan

HI Tim. Thanks so much for your response.

I have just revised my possible schedule a bit. We would be flying into Tangiers from the US. So, I'd stay 2 nights there. Then, I'd move on to Tetouan to the see the Medina, but I'd rather stay on the coast. If M'Diq is seedy, I won't stay there. I want someplace charming and comfortable. I'd stay on the coast for 2 nights and then go to Chefchaouen for one night and then back to Tangiers for a flight to Bilbao/San Sebastian where I'm renting a house for a week. Originally, I wanted to feryy back to Tarifa and stop in Sevilla enroute to San Sebastian. This seems like a lot of overhead and logistically difficult given my limited time, that's why I've decided to fly.

By perspective I mean is this itinerary doable in the time allotted without running around like a chicken w/out a head?

Also, how difficult is it to get around to these areas if we are traveling in a group of 6-8 people?

Mentioned in this post
Tetouan
Tetouan
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Bilbao
Bilbao
Province of Vizcaya, Spain
Tarifa
Tarifa
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Yorba Linda...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day trip to Morocco: Tangiers, Tetouan, M'Diq, Chefchouan

I am revising my itinerary to Morocco from Spain in June. I will not be entering the country from the US, rather from Spain. Is it easier to fly from Sevilla or take a ferry from Tarifa? I only have 5 days in Morocco and I want to make the most of my time.

Also, is Tangiers worth seeing or should I just get out of there and go to Tetouan and Chefchaouen and the coast? My time allows for one day/night in Tangiers, but I've read mixed reviews, most of them not favorable.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Spain
Spain
Europe
Tarifa
Tarifa
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Tetouan
Tetouan
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,263 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day trip to Morocco: Tangiers, Tetouan, M'Diq, Chefchouan

I think Tangier is worth a visit even if in only one day, there is not so much to go around, you have all near each other. Begin up in Kasbah and go down, take coffee pause on Petit Sccocco, it is interesting to sit there and look at the people :)

Edited: 29 April 2014, 05:48
Mentioned in this post
Tangier
Tangier
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day trip to Morocco: Tangiers, Tetouan, M'Diq, Chefchouan

My recommendation is to fly direct from Seville to Marrakech - spend your 5 days around there (can visit the Atlas Mountains and Essaouira on the coast) and fly out again. Much less hassle than dealing with ferries, buses etc for a group of 8 people.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Essaouira
Essaouira
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
6. Re: 5 day trip to Morocco: Tangiers, Tetouan, M'Diq, Chefchouan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Tetouan
More Tetouan Topics