We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

appropriate beachwear for women?

New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
appropriate beachwear for women?

On our honeymoon, my (soon to be) husband and I may go to the beach - we were thinking Oued Laou. What is appropriate wear on the beach for women? I am American. I have a one-piece bathing suit. Would that be okay?? I don't want to offend anyone but I also don't want to cover up on a beautiful summer day at the beach on my honeymoon. Any tips are appreciated. Thank you!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: appropriate beachwear for women?

According to my Rough Guide the beach at Oued Laou is pretty much deserted and not a popular destination for locals or tourists. The Saturday market nearby may be interest though. A one piece bathing suit should not cause offence, however keep a towel, shawl or pashmina at hand in case there are itinerant fishermen passing by!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
670 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: appropriate beachwear for women?

I’ve spent plenty of time on the beach at Oued Laou and generally there’s a mixed bag of beach wear for the ladies. Westerners I’ve seen (including me) went for bikinis or one-piece while swimming and maybe put some shorts and/or a t-shirt on when walking around on the beach and some ladies were sunbathing in bikinis/one-piece but not really parading around in just swimmers, though you could if you wanted.

Local ladies were wearing everything from bikini tops and shorts to full cover-ups and everything in-between. I noticed a few Moroccan girls in shorts and bikini tops playing football with other girls and guys but that wasn’t the norm. As you can see from this variety of attire, local women seem to be free to dress how they wish, though the overriding trend is modesty, though full coverings are not the norm either.

For a westerner on a Moroccan beach, however you dress you will always be a curiosity for local lover boys. Wearing a bikini and walking around on the beach will be a spectacle that will catch the eye of the local lads and may attract some light hearted advances if on your own, but will usually attract little more than lingering gazes from the hopeful lads who are not used to it such displays of flesh. It can be annoying sometimes but I’ve never had more than an overfriendly conversation. Basically, the more modestly you dress the less attention you will get, but bikinis to swim are not going to get you in trouble. But remember, having little respect for local customs will result in little respect form the locals. I’ve never seen a Moroccan get angry with a disrespectful westerner, just treat them with little respect by maybe over charging or just having a low opinion of you.

Oued Laou is not hugely touristy due to its location far from the normal mass tourism centres, though it’s been on the backpacking trail for decades. It’s not developed at all, a little scrappy and offers a huge beach with little more than a few simple restaurants and cafes that are used to adventurous tourists. I love the place for the reasons above and hope it stays true to its roots, unlike other beach towns further towards Tangier.

Edited: 15 March 2014, 05:57
Mentioned in this post
Tangier
Tangier
Tangier-Tetouan Region, Morocco
New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: appropriate beachwear for women?

Many thanks, Pilobolus2011 and Kate88Uk. Very helpful. Safe travels!

Merzouga, Morocco
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: appropriate beachwear for women?

i see good tips here from all..but please do not take the pleasure from fishermen they also have big eyes after only looking at waves and little fishes. from kamils mouth

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: appropriate beachwear for women?

http://www.marebeachwear.com/it/

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,025 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: appropriate beachwear for women?

Hi,

…blogspot.com/-R5dvz3M1vt0/…nig2.jpg

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
670 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: appropriate beachwear for women?

lol

8. Re: appropriate beachwear for women?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Tetouan
More Tetouan Topics