We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sibiu Home Base

Which Sibiu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sibiu Home Base

I am planning my first trip to Romania (and my first trip to Europe in general) and was wondering how well Sibiu serves as a base in which to spend a few days while checking out the sights around it.

I figure to sleep in Sibiu while taking day trips to the surrounding villages and mountains. I chose Sibiu largely from an article I read about hidden treasures in Europe but there was no mention of how it serves as a base.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sibiu Home Base

Sibiu is a very good choice for a base: it has a very interesting medieval central area, has plenty of hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars, the mountains are less than one hour away from the city and there are numerous old villages (plus a few historic cities) within 3 hours of travel by public transport.

To give you one more option, you could also use Brasov as a base (it's another major city about 2 1/2 hours away from Sibiu). It also has a nice medieval quarter, lots of accommodations and entertainment, mountains right next to it, multiple tourist sites in the surrounding area etc.

Edited: 25 August 2011, 03:59
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sibiu Home Base

Thanks much for the help.

One other question: how do the two cities compare in terms of public transportation? I don't really want to rent a car and planned on getting around via bus and train. Is either city preferable in terms of departure/arrival frequencies of buses and trains?

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sibiu Home Base

Both cities have good public transportation to the surrounding area, it's just a bit more frequent around Brasov.

4. Re: Sibiu Home Base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2013, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Sibiu