We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zadar taxi ripoff

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Zadar taxi ripoff

After spending a most enjoyable 10 days in Croatia I have had the frustrating, but unfortunately all-too-common experience of being ripped off by a taxi driver 939JO. Uber estimate for my 3km journey to my hotel was 35kuna but as I had some cash left I decided to use a local street taxi. BIG MISTAKE! The meter read 100.50kuna on reaching the hotel. I handed the driver 200 and he handed me back 50. When I questioned him he said the charge was 150. This was 4 times more than Uber would have cost. So please beware of this taxi driver, just want to let other unsuspecting customers know what to expect! I would strongly recommend using an alternative to street taxis when in Zadar. Hope this helps others.

20 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
990 posts
1 review
1. Re: Zadar taxi ripoff

I find regular taxis quite expensive.

You pay extra fee if you have a luggage

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Zadar taxi ripoff

150kn for 3 km trip is robbery even if you travel with full scale harem.

Sorry about the bad ending of your holiday. Hopefully the bandit driver will soon suffer from ED.

Edited: 31 August 2018, 19:05
1 post
3. Re: Zadar taxi ripoff

I got charged 200 by some big bald-headed idiot in Zadar....was a joke. Apparently this is all too common. Their days are numbered as Uber will take over.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
83 reviews
4. Re: Zadar taxi ripoff

Only Uber and regular taxi companies with their official mobile phone apps.

All others (con artists) could go extinct.

Level Contributor
747 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Zadar taxi ripoff

Russell 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
6. Re: Zadar taxi ripoff

I too was ripped off by a Zadar taxi driver. We got picked up at the bus station and were told he was a professional tax driver and would use the meter to take us to our boat. The bill ended up being about 30 Euros for a 5 minute ride that should have cost $6 Euros at most. BEWARE of overly helpful taxi drivers at the bus terminal in Zadar, some are crooks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Zadar taxi ripoff

Is it possible to negotiate a FIXED fee, in advance?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
3 posts
113 reviews
8. Re: Zadar taxi ripoff

Agreed, we got ambushed the moment we stepped off the bus at the bus station Zadar. Cost 100 kuna for a very short trip.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
170 reviews
9. Re: Zadar taxi ripoff

"Is it possible to negotiate a FIXED fee, in advance?"

Yes and highly recommended. I will not get into a taxi in Croatia without first agreeing a fee.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Zadar taxi ripoff

Taxi drivers continue to be tumor of tourism.

Reply to: Zadar taxi ripoff
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zadar
Recent Conversations