We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zadar to National parks

London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Zadar to National parks

So from a previous question I asked I understand that Zadar airport is near to Plitvice lakes national park. Does it make sense to stay in Zadar and do a day trip? Or should we stay by the park? Also would it make sense to go to Krka National park using Zadar as a base? We then want to travel down to either Split or Dubrovnik . Is this a good plan? I'm guessing the best thing to do is hire a car.

11 replies to this topic
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
60,982 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zadar to National parks

Zadar would ne the best place for a day trip to Plitvice.....and it makes more sense to see Krka on the drive from Zadar to Split.

London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zadar to National parks

Another thought. Fly into Zadar drive to Plitvice National Park, spend the night there. Then drive back to Zadar spend a couple of days there, drive to Krka National Park and from there drive to Split or Dubrovnik. How does that sound? As I type it I'm not convinced!! Bit back and forth but thoughts would be welcome

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
60,982 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zadar to National parks

Can you easily fly into Zadar? If not just fly into Zagreb and hit Plitvice on the way to the coast....spend a night if you think you need more time there....this way there would be no backtracking.

London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zadar to National parks

I can easily fly to Zadar. So would it be better to stay in Zadar drive onto Plitvice and then onto Krka?

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zadar to National parks

I agree with renting a car and driving to Plitvice from Zadar airport for the night. Get an early start to avoid some of the crowds. (I recommend route C from entrance 1)

When you are done (which should be about noon if you start at opening) you can drive and stay in either Zadar, Sibenik or Skradin. Visit Krka on the way to Split. I also recommend a short stop in Primosten to enjoy the views from the top by the church/cemetery.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
60,982 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zadar to National parks

Skradin is a good suggestion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zadar to National parks

Thank you very much for all the replies.

So you would only need one day in each park?

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zadar to National parks

Yes, about 4-5 hours each. There are longer routes at Plitvice but route C from entrance 1 takes 4-5 hours. It covers both upper & lower lakes & the great fall. You could spend a little longer at Krka if you include the optional boat to Visovac (recommended) and Roski Slap.

London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zadar to National parks

Thank you.

I will check out Skradin.

In the meantime, I think my plan now is, fly to Zadar drive to Plitvice Lakes, spend one night, drive back to Zadar spend a couple of days and drive to Dubrovnik via Krka national park. How does that sound?

London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zadar to National parks

Ah I see Skradin is by Krka park! Should we stay over there?

Edited: 16 May 2018, 18:46
Reply to: Zadar to National parks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted