We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What the heck is lurking on our terrace??

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What the heck is lurking on our terrace??

The wildlife is invading!!

While enjoying a lovely post-dinner nightcap on our terrace in Dubrovnik, something slammed into our (thankfully closed) apartment door before, once prompted by our feline companion, jumping about 4 foot in the air, jump/ flying directly at our faces and generally scaring the life out of us.

After we had finished cowering, i dared to peer out to see if it was safe to retrieve our drinks. Giant hell-bug had gone and I thought the local cat was slinking nose-to-ground along the balcony railimg, possibly stalking hell-bug. Only the cat was quite visibly sitting nearby and, on inspection, slinky-creature was a different size, shape and colour...

Any ideas what is sneaking / leaping around our balcony after dark? The guys next door seem to have taken to sleeping with their door open - should we go check hell-bug / slinky-creature hasn't eaten them..??

Hell bug was like a gigantic grasshopper - brown I think (though I was too busy screaming to get a good look), at least 2 inches long, maybe closer to 3, capable of at least some flight and really bloody bouncey!

Slinky creature was kind of like a giant cross between a weasel and a rat... Dark, I think like a chocolatey brown, pointy nose, bushy tail, and kind of crept along nose-down.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Konoba Veranda
$$ - $$$, Seafood, Mediterranean, Croatian
BOWA Dubrovnik
$$ - $$$, Seafood, Mediterranean, European
Oyster & Sushi Bar Bota
$$ - $$$, Japanese, Seafood, Sushi
26 replies to this topic
S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What the heck is lurking on our terrace??

Hellbug is Skakavac. Giant Amazon looking grasshopper. Harmless. No idea what the slinky creature could be.

Are you sure it was just one nightcap???

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What the heck is lurking on our terrace??

Maybe a marten?

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What the heck is lurking on our terrace??

Slinky creature could indeed be a marten/kuna (nocturnal and shy). Wrong colour and size for an edible dormouse.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 15:04
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What the heck is lurking on our terrace??

I googled marten - that's definitely it! They're so cute!!

Am still not won over by the grasshopper - I think it could have knocked us out if it had landed a direct hit!

Thanks guys! I'll be on marten watch for the next two nights now...

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What the heck is lurking on our terrace??

The kuna is a shy and beautiful creature. Be on the lookout for snakes (which I've been seeing daily), edible dormice and stag beetles. Not fond of those grasshoppers, either. Have a sneaking suspicion they wouldn't make great pets. ;)

How is the weather down south, Digby? This is the eleventh consecutive sunny warm day here (and apparently two weeks before I arrived)...hope you're getting the same after a damp start.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What the heck is lurking on our terrace??

We've not spotted any snakes yet, but keeping an eye out! I do like snakes. The other critter I'm not a fan of is that massive green / gold bug that sounds like a plane taking off and apparently enjoys dive bombing into my hair! That one's given us a few interesting moments...

I'm so jealous of your weather! Everyone keeps telling us how beautiful and dry is had been before we arrived. We had a couple of fantastic days on Mljet, rain on arrival in Dubrovnik, although yesterday was dry and sunny all day. Only a couple of days left now and thunderstorms are apparently predicted... But we're holding out hope (and taking rain jackets everywhere just in case!).

We're hoping to return to Croatia in September, so clearly the weather hadn't put too much of a dampener on our experience.

Pleased you're having such glorious weather!

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What the heck is lurking on our terrace??

Ah that green gold beetle wotthehellisit that sounds like a Heinkel, well at least on a beach we get some advance warning of it's approach. The number of times I have been reclining back and then suddenly spring bolt upright eyes wide staring in a total panic. It seems to be harmless but it looks bloody terrifying.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 17:11
Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What the heck is lurking on our terrace??

Digby, this is typical May weather here. Sorry you only caught a glimpse. Hopefully September will be redemption!

Stag beetles (massive "antlers") are enormous and rock hard but harmless. They could probably eat an entire seagull in one gulp. Love watching nature here, right in the garden...deer saunter by, snakes slither without a second glance, hedgehogs waddle through, the odd puh (kuna) and edible dormouse pop in for an evening. Last September we saw a snake gobble a blackbird at the water feeder in the garden. And I've said this before but I have pictures of a huge hedgehog licking a gargantuan toad! Saw a bear once, about 200 m away from the house. This is a wildlife haven.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What the heck is lurking on our terrace??

Where in istria are you chefathome? Sounds incredible!

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What the heck is lurking on our terrace??

Haha chef you and your snakes! So glad to hear you are having a wonderful time in Istria!

In Dalmatia we have wild boars (also edible) Yes I have had many close encounters at the beach with the over sized dive bombing bumble bees on steroids...those ones freak me out. Not a fan.

Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Dalmatia
Dalmatia
Croatia
Reply to: What the heck is lurking on our terrace??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted