We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car in Kharkiv

USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
rental car in Kharkiv

can one rent a car in Kharkiv for a week?

Mentioned in this post
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
11 replies to this topic
Kiev, Ukraine
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Lviv, Odessa, Chernivtsi, Ivano-Frankivsk
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car in Kharkiv

yes, why not?

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Ukraine, Lutsk, Chernivtsi
Level Contributor
22,357 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car in Kharkiv

Hi Frank and welcome to Ukraine forum!

As been said above, one surely can.

Among international names, at the very least Sixt and Avis operate in Kharkiv.

There are also many local companies, which will be cheaper, but will hardly have English agreements available.

The other question is whether it's really needed. Cost of taxi in Ukraine won't break a bank. Before you decide on renting, make sure you have read what driving in Ukraine is (road quality, driving style etc).

Mentioned in this post
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Calgary
Level Contributor
654 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car in Kharkiv

I spent some time in Kharkiv this winter. You really want to rethink driving there. ;)

Mentioned in this post
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car in Kharkiv

thanks for your replies . Very helpful. I tried some internet searches and could not fine a company I will try again. I will definitely take C + train, which will be easy since I will be in Kiev for 3 or 4 days before I go east. It will also give me a chance to meet and maybe talk with some people. But I dont speak Russian :(. Do you think I can find some folks in the east who speak English? I'm American. I have been following the situation in the Ukraine since the maiden protest. I'm interested in current events , culture , and history . History has a tendency to repeat and become current again.

My intent is to drive to Sloviansk, Karmatorsk, and Artemovsk. I am under the impression they are under the governments control.

Mentioned in this post
Kiev
Kiev
Ukraine
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car in Kharkiv

thanks for your reply. why do you say this? how did you find the situation there? did you visit any of the recently liberated towns? Like Sloviansk? Did you find folks who spoke English?

Kyiv
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,357 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car in Kharkiv

Here you go for the two I mentioned:

https://www.sixt.ua

http://www.avis.com.ua

Yes they are, but if it's for these East Ukraine cities that you look to hire a car for, better hire a local driver and go with the local who speaks the language and knows the area. This will maximize your experience.

Not too many chances for English speakers in the area, especially in smaller towns (outside Kharkiv), where they are close to zero.

P.S. There's no place named Artemovsk any longer. It's called Bakhmut (Бахмут) now.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 04:31
Mentioned in this post
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car in Kharkiv

good advice, I will consider a driver, if he speaks English :), thanks for the advice and help :)

Kyiv
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,357 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental car in Kharkiv

I should have added "and save you from troubles". Bakhmut is too close to the dividing line. A village in about 30km south-east from it have been fired upon tonight. Just saying.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,357 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental car in Kharkiv

I have also asked TA staff to move this thread from Kyiv to Kharkiv forums, where it belongs:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29536…

Hope they can do it, to avoid readers' confusion on situation in the East with situation in Kyiv.

Mentioned in this post
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Calgary
Level Contributor
654 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental car in Kharkiv

One of my technical staff is from that area (and returns home regularly) and I can tell you that you should really think hard about venturing near there. I am not sure what you intend to accomplish, but an American who speaks no Russian or Ukrainian is in for an interesting trip.

Reply to: rental car in Kharkiv
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kharkiv
More Kharkiv Topics