We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limitations and special events during Ramadan

Level Contributor
186 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Limitations and special events during Ramadan

Dear all,

I will be in Skopje during Ramadan and want to visit the old quarter.

What limitations should I expect (just one idea: Bazaars closing early/not opening at all)?

On the other hand: What is special during that time in Skopje that I should try to see?

Thank you very much in advance!

Marcus

Mentioned in this post
Skopje
Skopje
Skopje Region, Republic of Macedonia
6 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Republic of Macedonia, Skopje
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limitations and special events during Ramadan

There shouldn’t be any limitations at all.

Bazaaar will be open as usual..

Macedonia majority population is Christian but the country is secular .

Only thing might be more ppl comity out of evening prayers than usual but that’s all really

I am confused why you think that Macedonia is Muslim country? We have 20% of population being of Muslim fate but we are very much secular state.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
186 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limitations and special events during Ramadan

Thanks for your response!

Just to be clear I didn't think Macedonia is predominantly Muslim. However in many countries certain parts of the economy are almost separated by origin or religion. Even in bigger town in Germany life is a bit different during Ramadan, less demand for groceries for example.

Also I would liked to visit mosques in Skopje and if I can see a special prayer I would be glad to or on the other hand be prepared beforehand if I will not be allowed to enter (plan less time).

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Skopje
Skopje
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limitations and special events during Ramadan

Mehmed Paša Mosque is Denkmal ( national Monument) and you can visit anytime, however I am not sure that non Muslims are allowed for a prayer specially during Ramadan. Might be able to enter out of prayer time.

After all is working religious building and some rules have to be respected.

Our Muslim countryman are not a there to be a spectacle. I am actualy very offended that you want to “observe” special preyer in a country you visit because of curiosity . And I am not even a Muslim!

If you want to observe “special” prayer, I am sure there are many mosques in Germany to do so, so why don’t you start there first?

Edited: 16 May 2018, 21:37
Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Level Contributor
186 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Limitations and special events during Ramadan

My travels are to learn about other countries, their peoples, their habits and religions. Learning means speaking and interacting. Thus when there is a religious procession I don't just stand there but - when the moment feels right - try to talk to the locals to get an explanation what is going on.

And to answer your question: Trust me I did this in Germany many times. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limitations and special events during Ramadan

Arrogant much?!

Never cease to amaze me what kind of freadom ppl like yourself take under the guse of “learning”

Anyway, to answer again your question, some of the mosques in Skopje, Bitola, Tetovo, and rest of Western Macedonia are Denkmal same as some of the Churches thus they are free for visit.

Depending on the place and time you might be able to visit, providing you respect their religious background.

After all they are working religious objects

Mentioned in this post
Skopje
Skopje
Level Contributor
186 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Limitations and special events during Ramadan

Just in case somebody comes across this topic:

No limitations regarding visits to mosques. I was even asked to come in in one case not aware it was 10min before noon prayer (which is at 1pm of course but I just didn't check the time). Also in other mosques people were eager to show me around.

On the other hand the old bazaar seemed a bit deserted during daytime. Also some "real" restaurant opened only towards sunset explaining it was Ramadan.

Reply to: Limitations and special events during Ramadan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted