We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?

Santa Cruz...
3 posts
Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?

Wife and I are coming to Panama for a month to complete our immigration visa mid October. I heard of a free shuttle to Metromall from airport. Can I purchase a metro pass in a store there for later use and then take a taxi to El Congrejo less expensively than from Tocumen?

Gracias por tu ayuda, jerry & Reglita

12 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?

To save money simply walk directly outside the airport to the street where the bus stop is. You can tip someone to use the bus pass and get a subway card on the large station bus train. That way you can save money even if you went to Metro Shopping Center you would still have to walk to the bus stop and they have a transport service that charge for bags, I think, and finding the right bus is fun in Panama

Santa Cruz...
3 posts
2. Re: Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?

Wonderful! No guide book or anything I've read so far mentioned a bus station at Tocumen International. In fact, it was said that the closest bus station was across the main road after following an undisclosed alleyway out of the airport to a walkway leading there.

I will check it out, and yes, finding your way around PC using the bus is a fun adventure. With the money I save getting to the city I can take the bus to Mercado de Mariscos and have cerviche for breakfast with my wife.

Thank you Jacknelly!

Boston...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?

this might help you http://pty.life/metrobus-to-panama-airport/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ0OoJNsPkg

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
276 reviews
4. Re: Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?

Panama City Bus/Metro

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Mercado del Marisco

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?

I am not aware of a bus station at Tocumen and am not clear what he means about that. Perhaps he mean later in your trip.

By the way - it is El Cangrejo not Congrejo.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?

Jacknelly's comments and the associated link/story are a little too simplistic. First, they assume that you'll be proficient enough in Spanish to be able to ask someone at the bus stop if they will let you use their Metro card so you can board the bus. Second, it assumes that your luggage is small enough to carry on the bus. Panama's city busses are not convenient for large luggage. I can't imagine that if you're bringing enough for a month that you'd be able to carry it on the bus. Particularly, if you're bringing the appropriate clothes to wear at Migración. Third, they assume you know where you're going and where to get off and/or which busses you'll need to transfer to, to get where you're going. If you have a problem or are not sure about any of these issues, taking the bus from Tocumen is not the way to go.

By the way … I don't know where you've gotten the idea you can get your residence visa in one month, but it's totally incorrect. It will take two weeks to get your "temporary" pensionado visa … assuming you have a very well connected attorney. Then, it will take 3 to 6 months to get approval for you to get permanent visa. If you don't go through the additional steps to get the multiple exit/return visa stamp on your passport, leaving the country and returning within 6 months will cost you over $1000 in fines, per person.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
276 reviews
7. Re: Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?

+1 for post #6

Santa Cruz...
3 posts
8. Re: Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?

GB Williams,

Yes, I believe Mr. Nelly is mistaken about a bus stop at the airport. Your comments about taking baggage on the bus was insightful, so thank you for that.

While not the point, my note does not infer any suggestion that we aim to have a visa in one month. We have the necessary apostilled documents and a wonderful immigration attorney that will help us complete the application process that will take 7 working days to complete for a 6 month temporary visa. We will return when the application for permanent residency is approved by immigration (within 6 months) to receive the proper stamps in our passport and our e-cedula. One of us is a native Spanish speaker. We have spent time in Panama before. We like it. Your clarity about the visa process is correct, we are really asking about travel ideas from the airport to conserve on our travel expenses where possible.

Boston...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?

the necessary apostilled documents a n d if documents in English they have to be translated into Spanish by a certified Panamanian government official which might take a little longer paperwork in Panama is very complicated I got a lady a birth certificate 4 her son from Texas

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?

Jack ! You’re back !

Care to explain your comment about bus station in the first post ?

Reply to: Tocumen to El Congrejo inexpensively, is this reasonable?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted