We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casco Viejo Construction

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Casco Viejo Construction

Does anyone have an update on the street construction project here? I am looking at staying in the area in January. Any projection on where the construction project will be at that point?

Thanks.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Casco Viejo Construction

Unfortunately the "plan" is a mystery to those of us that live here and January is a long way off. If you can tell me what hotel(s) or B&B(s) you are considering I MIGHT be able to give you some useful information. Also, the longer you wait (in this case) the better you should be - at least the accuracy of the information will improve.

As of today - several blocks of Avenida B have been completed and http://www.tantalohotel.com/ and http://www.casadelhorno.net/ now have the new brick streets. http://www.loscuatrotulipanes.com/ should also have apartments that are clear of the major activity.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me for updates or use the contact email on my blog. This post has a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what is going on. http://blog.panamanotes.com/page/2

Steve www.panamanotes.com

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casco Viejo Construction

Perfect, thank you. I am looking at the Casa Del Horno so that eases my mind.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casco Viejo Construction

Since you know there will be construction in Casco, it won't come as a surprise. It is there, it is part of the process. Just watch your step and enjoy the contrast between old and new. Pay attention to the beautiful details. Soon, you won't be able to see the old, and it will be a tourist area without the interest of being a living neighborhood, with children delightfully playing in the street. Plaza Francia is quite complete, and a lot of Plaza Bolivar but less so some other areas, especially as you get farther from the sea. As you enter Casco, walk toward the presidential palace and close to the sea and I think that had some of the most interesting views and more renovation. Enjoy this unique area!

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casco Viejo Construction

Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casco Viejo Construction

Also, I recommend to go up to Ancon Hill. Views are great from the top and also on the road going up. We walked up from la Estancia, near the gate, and saw a lot of cool birds and butterfies, including toucans. Morning and closer to dusk are best times.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casco Viejo Construction

My wife and I will be staying at Magnolia Inn www.magnoliapanama.com/

Is the construction really bad? should we not stay here? Are you still able to appreciate the area? We will be able to sleep?

Sorry for all the questions. This was going to be a quick but special trip for my wife and I.

Thanks for your help

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casco Viejo Construction

Do you enjoy history? Do you like non-traditional (not Holiday Inn, American-style hotels and environment)? I loved walking in a historic area and found the juxtaposition of older remnants mixed with the beuatifully-restored buildings to be quite interesting.Also interesting to contrast the old Casco with the skyscrapers across the bay. In a few years, it will all be restored, and it will be lovely I expect, but you won't have the little local kids playing int he streets and the safe, local life mixed in, probably. Does that seem appealing to you? There is construction so keep your eyes open and looking for holes in the sidewalk. The areas closest to the waterfront and main plazas (Plaza Francia is gorgeous and romantic) are more complete. Many great restaurants, some good music and nightlife and even a small microbrewery on the waterfront on Eloy y Alfaro, near the entrance to Casco. I would certainly return and hope you enjoy!!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Casco Viejo Construction

@Eagle - TODAY - All is quiet around the Magnolia. Tell me when you plan to visit and I can give you an educated guess about what things may be like. Sleeping is not an issue as the heavy work occurs during the daylight hours.

Yes, areas of Casco are a mess - BUT, still plenty to see and do. Just a little harder finding your way around. PM me and I can offer some additional help.

Enjoy your trip.

Steve www.panamanotes.com

Edited: 15 September 2012, 05:26
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casco Viejo Construction

We are going to be there in the 2nd week of december. We were going to stay the afternoon and night in Casco then head to Portobelo for a day and a half. Do you know Portobelo too?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Casco Viejo Construction

@Eagle If you want to send me a PM closer to your departure date I can give you a construction update.

GB is the Portobelo expert. Best to start another thread for your specific Portobelo questions or things will get very confusing.

Steve