We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clueless about Panama - please compare

Chicago
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Topic
Clueless about Panama - please compare

We are 4 women taking a girls trip this coming February. We usually do the beach thing for 2 or 3 hours a day, but then like to explore, eat at fun restaurants and bars, shopping etc.

I have never been to Panama and no very little about it. So little that I hardly know where to begin my questions. So lets start with, we have been to the Virgin Island and pretty much all of the resort towns in Mexico (except Cancun) . How does Panama compare?

Any info would help! Thanks, in advance

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clueless about Panama - please compare

You will likely need to change what you "usually do" in order to enjoy Panama - this place has nothing like the resort towns of Mexico and comparing it to St. Croix (my previous home) would be a stretch. The swimmable beaches are 1 to 2 hours from the city - our choice when we go to the beach is Santa Clara, a great beach with TWO small restaurants. El Valle (small mountain village) nearby would fill the desire to "explore". BUT the "fun restaurants and bars, shopping etc." are back in Panama City.

Maybe give us an idea of what "exploring" means to your group (malls or rainforrest), how long you will be here and we can be of more help. LOTS to do - just depends.

Have fun, you will enjoy Panama.

Steve www.panamanotes.com

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Santa Clara
Santa Clara
Panama Province, Panama
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clueless about Panama - please compare

Picasso Bar and Restaurante on the road into Coronado is a fun place ....something going on there every night. But not like a nightclub... A couple other restaurants here I could recommend too. Cholo's Mexican is also a fun bar and restaurant right on the highway.

There are new malls at Coronado

Beaches are pretty much empty except for weekends when the Panamanians

come to their weekend homes, condos. Ocean is murky all along the Pacific side, but

still lovely beach, we think. Black and white sand. We love the area,

and it is still developing. It is a public beach and you can go on there anytime through

one of the many beach walkways along the road.

You can stay at El Literal b & b in Coronado and learn much about the area, where to explore, etc. from owner

Anne Marie..........She is young and so positive (speaks English, French), fabulous and a great cook. Nice pool,

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1022784-d15543…

For a hotel, this place is new and right on the ocean:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1022784-d19063…

Day trips to explore could be El Valle, Chica (both mountain towns nearby),

Punta Chame, isolated wonderful beach, Santa Clara down the road.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Chame
Punta Chame
Panama Province, Panama
Santa Clara
Santa Clara
Panama Province, Panama
3. Re: Clueless about Panama - please compare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2013, 21:23