We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap cell phones?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
cheap cell phones?

I have seen a number of mentions of being able to get a "cheap" cell phone, loaded with minutes, in Nicaragua to use during my stay, but I can't find any solid information.

I plant to be there for about 3-1/2 weeks.

Can somebody tell me how much they cost, and where one can buy them? (I'll be in Granada - not passing though Managua until my flight home)

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: cheap cell phones?

THere is plenty of places that you can get a phone while in Granada, the minutes you will have to buy separate but there are always deals of doubling your minutes. A phone might go from US$15.00 - US$20.00

Trenton, New Jersey
2 posts
2. Re: cheap cell phones?

Can I call the US with one of these phones? I have to stay connected for work.

nc Coast
Level Contributor
301 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: cheap cell phones?

I brought my own phone and bought a chip but you can buy phones / minutes here. I just talked to my daughter in Fla on mine and it worked great. No idea of the cost per minute, but have heard it is about .30 per to the USA. You can add minutes at many places as you need to.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: cheap cell phones?

Yes, you can all the US as long as you have minutes, i call my mother and my sister and mom all the time. You can also go to the internet cafes where the minute is 1 cordoba the minute which is really cheap.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: cheap cell phones?

Thanks. I'll be taking a Verizon Blackberry, globally enabled with a sim-card, and international calling activiated, but the roaming charge is outrageous. I understand most phones from the US are locked so you can't just swap out the sim card. do you know if this is correct?

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
6. Re: cheap cell phones?

Have you checked with Verizon? They told us our Smart Phone could not be used at all in Nic.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
7. Re: cheap cell phones?

Nevermind my caution!

I found this on a blog---Yes, my Verizon Blackberry Storm worked fine in June with the international plan. I did not have to swap out a chip but it took me some work to find someone at Verizon that new the process to allow the international plan. I think that Verizon adds the MAC(?) address on the chip to their Global option to "unlock" the phone. All of this information is software based in the phone setup and does not entail swapping chips

8. Re: cheap cell phones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2012, 18:16