We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cellphone and usb modem in Nicaragua

nuweiba, sinai
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Cellphone and usb modem in Nicaragua

Please, can anyone advise me how easy is to get pay-as-you-go cellphone card and a card for usb modem? And what is the cost of service? I will be in Nicaragua for a week.

Thank You!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: Cellphone and usb modem in Nicaragua

I'll be honest and tell you I don't have an exact answer for you, especially considering my visit is now a few years ago. That said, I seem to generally remember stores that offered these items, perhaps more in the American-style malls such as MetroCentro in Managua, though also in other locations.

Perhaps my hopefully most helpful advice would be this...have you considered Skype (www.skype.com)? I used Skype as it was fairly easy to find internet connections and also less expensive (around 10-15 cents a minute back to the States. Finally, money you put into the account pretty much stays in the account long term as long as you use the service at least one time every so many months (so, go on the account and call anyone - even your home phone - for just a second. Yes, it will cost you the 10 cents or so for a minute call, but saves the money in the account).

nuweiba, sinai
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Cellphone and usb modem in Nicaragua

Thank You for answer!

Yes, I do most of my comms over skype. But to be able to do it I need to be connected. And thats when usb modem comes handy. With this i don't need to search wifi areas.

I did google around and found from other forums that i can get sim card for usb modem from airport. My only concern is now if i can get it working, because it's not "plug in and play", it takes some settings to be done before it starts to work as they said. I'm quite dumb with computers and setting, so it will be a challenge.

US
Level Contributor
30 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Cellphone and usb modem in Nicaragua

Hmm, communicating costs depends where you calling...that said to the US is cheaper than from the US using the cybercafes. With a calling card costs are around 30 cts a minute.

4. Re: Cellphone and usb modem in Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 16:17