We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone to call the US while traveling in Nicaragua

Amherst, Wisconsin...
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Cell phone to call the US while traveling in Nicaragua

Hello,

First of all thanks in advance for anyone who helps out.

My fiancee is going to Nicaragua for roughly 10 days and I would like her to have a phone so she can call back home while over there.

What is my best bet in terms of buying/renting a phone that will work over there as well as a simcard?

I've been on Telestial.com and have found a sim card that will work but they don't seem to have info on which, if any, of their phones will work in Nicaragua.

Thanks so much

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: Cell phone to call the US while traveling in Nicaragua

I'll confess I'm not the best resource to answer highly detailed questions as my visits are from two years ago. However, have you considered Skype, or similar? Will almost certainly be less expensive and Skype is even going onto smartphones so I believe still cheaper because you're using an internet connection versus trying to find a cell phone connection.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Cell phone to call the US while traveling in Nicaragua

She can buy a phone here as cheap as US$20.00 and then she will have to buy minutes for it, in which both companies that operate in Nicaragua are constantly doing promotions like making your purchase double or triple tha amount. This way she can easily stay in touch with you in the US.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: Cell phone to call the US while traveling in Nicaragua

Rudolfo

Are these the "unlocked " phones I read about that you just change out the card for each country?

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Cell phone to call the US while traveling in Nicaragua

Unlocked phones are for when you use a phone that was brought from the states for example but when you buy the phoine here you wont need to unlock it, just buy minutes for it.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
5. Re: Cell phone to call the US while traveling in Nicaragua

I think Casa Gallo is going to provide 2 cell phones Dave

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Cell phone to call the US while traveling in Nicaragua

The cheap $20 phones you can buy here will not work in most other countries though, I recently learned, at least for movistar (one of the two cell phone companies here), they will work in other countries with movistar if you buy a movistar SIM card there (well, at least in Colombia for sure)

Amherst, Wisconsin...
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Cell phone to call the US while traveling in Nicaragua

Thank you all for your input thus far. Does anyone have a link or specific type of "cheap phone" they can refer me to that will work in Nicaragua as long as I buy the appropriate SIM card?

Thanks!

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Cell phone to call the US while traveling in Nicaragua

This cheap phone that I was referring to is one you buy in Nicaragua, at a cell phone store. I have no idea if its available online as Nicaraguans don't really buy cell phones online, as far as I have seen. The key is buying the phone in Nicaragua-- I think it even comes with the SIM card so its totally foolproof. The cell phone company sets it up, you buy some minutes, and you are good to go.

Amherst, Wisconsin...
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Cell phone to call the US while traveling in Nicaragua

Thank you! I will consider this I just don't know if she is going to be going to a place where she can buy the phone as this is a school coordinated trip and I don't believe they are being let loose. :)

Thanks!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
10. Re: Cell phone to call the US while traveling in Nicaragua

I googled and found these people

Why not call them? http://intouchsmartcards.com/contact.htm