We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarajevo to Sofia -- How can I get there??

Buenos Aires...
3 posts
Save Topic
Sarajevo to Sofia -- How can I get there??

Hi fellow travellers! I´m trying to find info on trains or buses going from Sarajevo to Sofia as directly as possible.

So far I´ve found a bus going to Nis, and from there a train to Sofia. But I can´t manage to purchase the tickets, pages not translated to English are becoming a real problem.

This would be:

SARAJEVO-NIS: 08:40-18:30

www.nis-ekspres.rs/redvoznje.php…

NIS-SOFIA: 02:45-08:02

(found it in Deutsche Bahn, can´t really find them on Serbian or Bulgarian Railways)

Any idea how I can purchase those tickets?? Or any other recommendations??

Thanks!

Santiago

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarajevo to Sofia -- How can I get there??

Hi Santiago

Did you end up going this way? I am about to do the same within the next days, and it would be interesting to hear your experiences. Price, difficulties and so on..

All the best,

Signe

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarajevo to Sofia -- How can I get there??

Hi

I justed wanted to follow up on this if anyone else needs the advice.

I ended up taking the bus from Sarajevo to Nis, at 8.40 in the morning from the eastern bus station. This costed 46 BAM (+ 1 BAM for the luggage). The bus was really nice and luxurious, and the time went fast. I just bought the ticket at the busstation, no need to reserve.

I spend the evening in Nis, and bought a ticket at the trainstation to Sofia, the train leaves at 2.45 at night. This was 1044 RSD. It is ok to spend the evening/night in Nis, I don't think it's dangerous. Neither in the city or at at the trainstation.

But, I did a mistake which is apperently quite typical from what I hear. The train is divided into compartments that goes to Sofia and compartments that goes to Skopje. I chose the wrong ones! It is absolutely impossible to tell, so find some people to ask, and ask many different.

Anyways, if you end up taking the detour to Macedonia, there is a bus directly to Sofia from Skopje, as soon as you arrive. You will have to pay the extra tickets though, both in the train and in the bus.

Hope this can help someone:)

Happy travels!

Signe

Sofia, Bulgaria
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarajevo to Sofia -- How can I get there??

Hey guys, thanks for sharing experience!

I was wondering if there is an option to take a bus from Nis to Sofia from the same station that you arrive from Sarajevo to Nis? Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Cacak, Serbia
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarajevo to Sofia -- How can I get there??

Hi Alex,

Buses from Nis to Sofia goes at 07:45 and 21:00 operated by Niš Ekspres company. They depart from central bus station which is close to city center.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarajevo to Sofia -- How can I get there??

Thanks, we are doing this soon. Cheers, Jon and Jenny

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarajevo to Sofia -- How can I get there??

Hi everyone! Thanks for the helpful tips. I am planning the same this September so wanted to check if this info is still current. Also would like to know what is a realistic timetable for this leg. I need to be in Sofia Thursday 3 September so how long should I reserve for the trip from Sarajevo to Sofia? Thanks!

Novi Sad, Serbia
Destination Expert
for Serbia
Level Contributor
560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarajevo to Sofia -- How can I get there??

Centrotrans-AD Sarajevo (http://www.centrotrans-ad.com/; https://www.facebook.com/CentrotransAD) operates the bus line East Sarajevo (Istočno Sarajevo)-Niš. However, it seems to work every other day (the former page says only Thursday/Četvrtak and Sunday/Nedjelja), starting at 18:00 from East Sarajevo and arriving in Niš in 3:50.

Niš Ekspres and Bulgarian operator Matpu operate Niš-Sofia line 4:30-7:45: www.nis-ekspres.rs/index_en.php?p=RedVoznje

So, it seems to fit in nicely, but as far as I know there's no way to purchase the tickets online. There's no worry about full buses, so you can always buy the ticket in station or in bus. However, your Thursday the 3rd does not seem to be makeable in this way...

Novi Sad, Serbia
Destination Expert
for Serbia
Level Contributor
560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sarajevo to Sofia -- How can I get there??

P.S. If you can afford it, Turkish Airlines provides an airplane connection SJJ-SOF for about €190 and least hassle via Istanbul (Sep 2). Other options include land trip via Belgrade (numerous buses from East Sarajevo to Belgrade, then night train for Sofia; check this forum for tips, it's a frequent subject).

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sarajevo to Sofia -- How can I get there??

Thanks for the info, it's really helpful! As the timetable isn't flexible (need to get to Varna for a wedding) I'll probably choose flights although would have been interesting to travel by road / train.

Novi Sad, Serbia
Destination Expert
for Serbia
Level Contributor
560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sarajevo to Sofia -- How can I get there??

Well, land travel by night wouldn't be particularly interesting anyway.

Turkish Airlines has a decent connection Sarajevo - Varna, if you prefer a direct flight there.