We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overland Travel - China into Russia by car, Hunchun/Suifenhe

Mapusa
5 posts
Save Topic
Overland Travel - China into Russia by car, Hunchun/Suifenhe

Hello…..

Advice needed with regard to the following journey:

We are planning an overland trip through Asia which will take us from China where we are looking to cross into Russia with our car from Hunchun near to Vladivostok. We are anxious that we check about border entry points and want to know where we can check this information or establish that it is possible to cross here. Another exit point from China is at Suifenhe/Pogranichy, although from Hunchun is our first choice due to the proximity of the border to our destination of Vladivostok. We need to be certain so as we can state this to our Chinese travel agent and they can get the right province permissions.

If anyone can offer us some advice with regard to these border crossings and whether there will be any obvious problem you could foresee from making the trip.

We have auto tourist visas, international driving licence, car registration papers, insurance we can get on arrival and carnet de passage (however, not recognised in Russia).

Any help and advice offered would be very, very much appreciated.

Many, many thanks,

Jon

Mapusa
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overland Travel - China into Russia by car, Hunchun/Suifenhe

Hello all.....

I have just heard today from Rosgranitsa border agency that we can only cross from China into Russia at the border point Manzhouli - Zabaykalsk in Siberia with our foreign registered car.

Although a shock to learn at this late stage and an additional 3000km drive to reach Vladivostok, it does not seem impossible. However, I have no idea about the roads in this area, frequency of towns for food and petrol and much else.....

Any advice, knowledge or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Save Reply
2. Re: Overland Travel - China into Russia by car, Hunchun/Suifenhe

Did you get across okay? I would be interested to know since I am planning the same journey. Best regards Emmanuel

Mapusa
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overland Travel - China into Russia by car, Hunchun/Suifenhe

Hello Emmanuel,

My plans had to change because the borders between China Hunchun/Suifenhe are closed on the Russian side for 3rd party travellers (i.e any other nationality than Chinese and Russian) until 2014 according to the Russian border agency.

Check out there website and contact them for specific information regarding this as there may be updates, but that is what they told me back in January when I was planning the trip. Listed website below:

http://www.rosgranitsa.ru/en

We ended up making a 3000 + kilometre detour across Southern Siberia entering Russia at Zabaykalsk from Manzhouli, China (the only open official border between China and Russia, unless you have direct contacts to Putin as a friend of mine did and managed to cross there at Hunchun some years ago) which is definitely open to 3rd party nationals. Travelling on to Vladivostok from there. A great drive and highly recommended. The roads are pretty good with only a few broken areas which my 25 year old Honda did not struggle with.

If you need a China travel agent try NAVO who were excellent and got us in and out of China pretty uneventfully.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Save Reply
4. Re: Overland Travel - China into Russia by car, Hunchun/Suifenhe

Hi Jon

That's very useful thanks.

My plan is to drive all the way from London to Hong Kong so the Zabaykalsk / Manzhouli entry would be good. Then I'll travel down though China to Beijing and onwards. I was worried because I wasn't sure if private vehicles could pass through the border at all and I thought it might only be trains that are allowed through. Are you British at all and if so how easy was it to get the Visa for China? Also out of interest which Honda model was it? Do you think I can make my trip in a saloon car, or will I will I need a decent 4x4?

Many thanks

Emmanuel

Mapusa
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Overland Travel - China into Russia by car, Hunchun/Suifenhe

Yes British.

My car is a Honda Civic from 1987, so I'm sure you can make it in any vehicle

Visa in India took 2 weeks, back and forwards to various offices etc. We had a travel agents itinerary which was essential.

I'm sure you know this, but you are not able to drive in China without using a guide booked through a Chinese based travel agent. They will organise everything - permits for each state, driving licence, insurance etc etc They have to be with you whenever you drive the car. This is a government criteria and I think without exception, at least that I know about for foreign nationals wishing to drive there. I used NAVO although there are others.

Anyway good luck, you'll be fine.

Save Reply
6. Re: Overland Travel - China into Russia by car, Hunchun/Suifenhe

Thanks

Hope you don't mind answering a few more questions. How much do NAVO charge roughly for arranging everything? A friend of mine said it can cost HK$2 million just for the Chinese driving licence alone

Mapusa
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Overland Travel - China into Russia by car, Hunchun/Suifenhe

It cost me £3500 for one month.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overland Travel - China into Russia by car, Hunchun/Suifenhe

Wow! That's really costly...

Chengdu, China
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Overland Travel - China into Russia by car, Hunchun/Suifenhe

You can contact China NAVO tour for more information if you want cross Russia-China border in your car, maybe help you to find some intressting persons via en@navo-tour.com.

Shanghai, China
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Overland Travel - China into Russia by car, Hunchun/Suifenhe

As of today, NO non-Hong Kong registered vehicles can cross from Mainland into Hong Kong. And only specially registered border cars can cross from Hong Kong into Mainland. Also, China does not allow cars which are right hand drive (british-style) into China at all, Hong Kong/Macau being the very special exception, although there are only around 1000 special hong kong cars today which have access to the mainland.