We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bulgaria itinerary

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Bulgaria itinerary

Hi All -

I am going to Bulgaria for nine days in late June. I am planning to rent a car to save time. Does anyone know if the driving to good -- meaning safe roads with lights, etc.?

Also - I am planning to spend a day or two in Sofia, hike in the Rila Mountains for two days, then to to Plovdiv, Ruse and Varna. If you have any feedback on this itinerary, that will be very much appreciated. If you think I should replace any of these locations with another option, or simply remove a location, let me know.

Thanks - and happy travels!

Mentioned in this post
Sofia
Sofia
Sofia Region, Bulgaria
Rila Mountains
Rila Mountains
57 Reviews
Rila, Bulgaria
Plovdiv
Plovdiv
Plovdiv Province, Bulgaria
Ruse
Ruse
Ruse Province, Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
Varna Province, Bulgaria
3 replies to this topic
Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bulgaria itinerary

Hello,

Driving is mostly safe however I personally try to avoid driving during the night because the road marking at some places is not the best. However the pavement is in a good condition. A lot of the main roads were renovated during the last decade and it's comfortable to drive. If you are hiking in Rila you should put Musala peak and The Seven Rila Lakes on your list. The lakes are accessible both by walk and by chair lift.

Plovdiv, Ruse and Varna are all great choices. Since you are going to Ruse you should take your time and visit Veliko Tarnovo, they are rougly 1-1.5 hours away from each other. Tarnovo is the old capital of Bulgaria, lot of history behind it and great architecture. It's hands down my favorite city in the country.

Feel free to ask me anything, I will be more than happy to help.

Regards!

Mentioned in this post
Rila
Rila
Sofia Region, Bulgaria
Plovdiv
Plovdiv
Ruse
Ruse
Ruse Province, Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
Varna Province, Bulgaria
Veliko Tarnovo
Veliko Tarnovo
Veliko Tarnovo Province, Bulgaria
Staffs
Destination Expert
for Bulgaria, Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bulgaria itinerary

I agree with Kalin that you should visit VT if your going to Ruse.

I`m also a total Ruse fan - its a hidden gem in Bulgaria. The centre is just perfect for sitting in the SQ drinking coffee.. I always stay in the Splendid hotel just off the main SQ - cheap and clean. Eat at the Happy Eater on the main SQ -- La Strada on the 'high street' is also good. There are plenty of places to grab a beer or a coffee. The small cafe on the SQ (by the fountain) is great to sit and watch the world go by. Have a stroll along the Danube which is a 4 or 5 minute walk from the Splendid.

Best,

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Ruse
Ruse
Ruse Province, Bulgaria
RF2
Dimitrovgrad
Level Contributor
397 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bulgaria itinerary

On your way from Plovdiv to Veliko Turnovo, you can stop for an hour at Etara -https://www.etar.org/index-en.htm

Mentioned in this post
Plovdiv
Plovdiv
Reply to: Bulgaria itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted