We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 4/10-21/18

Southern California
Level Contributor
252 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 4/10-21/18

First, many thanks to all who helped me set up a fabulous vacation. Custom Tahiti was wonderful - thorough and always quick to respond. We took an overnight flight from LAX, then a plane to Taha'a where we caught a boat to Vahine Island. The beauty of the area blew us away. Vahine was lovely, with a wonderful view from the room. The island is very quiet so we had a lot of time to relax. Went snorkeling a couple of times through the hotel, but I did not find the snorkeling as good there as Bora Bora. There was quite a strong current where we snorkeled. My favorite place to hang out was in the lagoon just off our beach suite. Water was so warm, shallow and clear. The service there is impeccable, and the food was, as everyone says, sublime. I am still dreaming about the chocolate brownie with chantilly cream and homemade coconut ice cream. We saw a marlin being brought onto land for the next day's meal.

We flew from Taha'a to Bora Bora where we had an OWB at the Conrad. Wow - yet again - wow. The room was beautiful, and we spent a lot of time on the deck watching the view. The service there was also extraordinary, with a golf cart availabe whenever we needed one, and I used the bicycles to get around, but I also enjoyed walking. We did the half day with Lagoon Services which we enjoyed, though I do wish they would not feed the bread to the fish. Swimming with the sharks was the highlight, with a large lemon shark right below me as I was in the water. The views from the boat were amazing. We ate at Mai Kai and the Yacht Club in Vaitape which we enjoyed, particularly Mai Kai. Did a bit of shopping in town also. Spent the rest of our time at the Conrad, with me in the water snorkeling. I found the snorkeling to be best around our bungalow (the 100's area). So many fish, coral and I loved the colorful lips of the clams. Careful around the coral as I scraped myself several times - it is shallow. Dinner at the Iriatai was delicious, though we were unimpressed with The Banyon. The breakfast buffet was impressive - and yes, I did eat a chocolate croissant every day. The servers were always pleasant and helpful.

I did a hair treatment at the spa which helped my dry, salty hair My husband had a one hour massage which was relaxing. The massage therapists were respectful and helpful.

One wish I had was to be able to more easily get to other resorts. I had wanted to snorkel, then eat at the Sofitel, but it would entail a boat to Vaitape, boat to Sofitel, and back, and I got the impression that wasn't encouraged.

We never exchanged money and had no problem paying in Vaitape with US dollars.

The trip to FP was magical, and we look forward to returning.

Iaorana Pearl Farm
Gift & Speciality Shops
Pari Pari
Gift & Speciality Shops
Pearl Treehouse
Gift & Speciality Shops
5 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 4/10-21/18

Thanks for the great report and I’m so happy to hear you had such a memorable time. Vahine and Conrad are 2 of my favorite places, and the perfect combination of a small, intimate resort and a larger one with unbelievable OWB’s with great snorkeling below.

So, did you catch the fever and start planning a return trip?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 4/10-21/18

Thank you for sharing! Always fun to read trip reports, and sounds like you had an amazing time. Just curious, how was the weather?

Southern California
Level Contributor
252 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 4/10-21/18

We are planning to return but not sure when - hopefully in the next couple of years! Living in So. California makes it easy to get there. The weather was very good. Had one rainy day on Vahine, but the rest was mainly partly sunny. The weather report said thunderstorms and a lot of rain every day so we were worried, but no problems. It is very humid so it does feel hot though the temp was around 85 degrees.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
536 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 4/10-21/18

Don't feel bad about not going to the Sofitel (assuming you meant Sofitel Private Island). They just would have turned you away, even if you were there to spend money at their resort! They are serious about the private thing. Resort guests only.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 08:06
Southern California
Level Contributor
252 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 4/10-21/18

Wow - that is interesting. You would think they would like people at least eating there. Thanks.

Reply to: Trip report 4/10-21/18
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted