We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tetiaroa excursion from Papetee + OWB advice

italy
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
Tetiaroa excursion from Papetee + OWB advice

Hello there.

we are a family of three - with a 21yr old daughte - and we are going to embark on a Paul Gauguin cruise for 11 days (FP+ Cook Islands) on the 17th of November.

We were thinking of adding a couple of days both side of the cruise and were considering doing two in Papetee and one or two in an OWB.

For Papetee, reading the forums, it would seem one day would be enough for the Island and a second one could be spent doing an excursion to a nearby one. As the cruise will already be stopping two days in Moorea, we were considering Tetiaroa: but we are not sure how it could be reached and if is feasible as a daily excursion.

For what concerns the OWB, we were looking at Tikehau or Maupiti but how easy are they to get to? also any advice on the best one for people not interested in diving but just in soaking in some amazing nature?

thanks a lot for any advice

Pollo

7 replies to this topic
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
232 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Tetiaroa excursion from Papetee + OWB advice

How fun! Aitutaki and the atolls in FP are my some of my favorite places! So remote and beautiful! That cruise sounds great.

I also have looked into doing day trips to Tetiaroa. There are a couple of operators, like Poe Charter Tahiti, that do day trips from Papeete. I think the cost was about $150 euros.

In Tikehau, the only hotel that has OWB is Tikehau Pearl. I stayed there for 5 nights in the standard OWB and enjoyed it. There's amazing snorkeling under the standard OWB area (I never snorkeled under the suites though). There are quick flights daily to/from PPT to Tikehau. I probably would recommend 3 night stay so it gives you two full days to enjoy the resort and OWB.

In Maupiti, there aren't any OWB. I've also wanted to visit this island, but flights are more limited and not daily so check with Air Tahiti for what days it flies.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,995 posts
201 reviews
2. Re: Tetiaroa excursion from Papetee + OWB advice

Although you will be stopping in Moorea I would strongly consider going back for the OWB experience at the Hilton. A $30 round trip ferry vs. a $400 per person round trip flight would sway me. We have flown to other islands post cruise but I would want at least 3 nights to help justify the added cost.

italy
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Tetiaroa excursion from Papetee + OWB advice

Thank you both for the useful info.

A couple more questions. For Medic_5: if .the flight cost were of no concern (as this is for us a very special trip with various things to celebrate) would you still favour Moorea over Tikehau?

For Stephanie, is there any way of reaching Tetiaroa by air?...having looked at Poe Charter website,I'm not sure 3 hours in a small boat in a quite possibly rough sea really appeals...

thanks again!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
232 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Tetiaroa excursion from Papetee + OWB advice

I think the only other way to reach Tetiaroa is with a resort plane. The Brando resort is located on the island. Have you thought about staying there for a couple of nights?

Also, when you're in Aitutaki, make sure you take an excursion cruise to One Foot Island. Motu Maina is beautiful too, but I think One Foot Island area is better, IMO.

Trieste, Italy
Level Contributor
70 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Tetiaroa excursion from Papetee + OWB advice

Tikehau has very nice beaches, I wouldn't consider it for the OWB... Maupiti has no OWB as already mentioned, it's probably the most beautiful place on Earth I've seen and this is also because the tourism is very low key and there are no big resorts but only pensions and family guesthouses: bliss!

The real OWB for me was Bora Bora (no, not even Moorea): yes, it's way more expensive than somewhere else, but there's a reason to it. I stayed in the IC Thalasso and can highly reccomend the experience, I think only Four Seasons (no wonder...) and maybe St Regis can be better.

As for Moorea vs Tikehau, it's apples and oranges: Moorea is big, has inviting "mountains", forests, plenty of activities... and many more tourists. Tikehau is a small atoll, about 500 people living there, very few tourists and I used to paddle with a kayak from motu to motu all alone and enjoy the sheer beauty of the lagoon and the beaches all by myself.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
971 posts
306 reviews
6. Re: Tetiaroa excursion from Papetee + OWB advice

The Intercontinental Hotel in Papeete has OWBs which are very nice and I think you can get to Tetiaroa by boat. The flight is only 30 mins from memory. We stayed at the Brando last year and when we did an excursion we saw some people on a tour from the Mainland....but no idea how they got there sorry. Surely the tour operator will be able to give you that information?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,995 posts
201 reviews
7. Re: Tetiaroa excursion from Papetee + OWB advice

For the OWB experience I think Moorea and Bora Bora are comparable. The lagoon is much prettier in Bora Bora but the snorkeling is iffy at many of the Bora Bora resorts (you need to get out on the lagoon for great snorkeling) but is great at the Hilton on Moorea. If $ was not an issue I would choose Bora Bora, presuming you have at least 3 nights. Any less and you lose so much time in travel. Neither Bora Bora or Moorea will disappoint.

Reply to: Tetiaroa excursion from Papetee + OWB advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted