We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in the French Polynesia (family trip)!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
First time in the French Polynesia (family trip)!

Hello,

I’m starting to plan a trip for April 2019 for my mother’s birthday. She has always wanted to visit Bora Bora so I would like to take her. I know very little about the area and there are so many islands so any advice would be appreciated.

-3 travellers: Myself, my mum and my daughter (10yrs)

-Will fly from Sydney to Papeete.

-Can stay 10-14 days. Mixed budget, happy to splurge for a few nights and chose more affordable options for the rest.

-Would like to over water bungalow it for a few nights somewhere. Will need 2 beds.

Would 3-4 days in Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora be good? Those are the only islands I know, up for any other suggestions. Any child friendly hotels, areas or activities recommended? I realise everything seems to be tailored for romance and honeymoons!

Thanks so much for any suggestions!!

Edited: 09 May 2018, 10:08
Mentioned in this post
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Society Islands, French Polynesia
Papeete
Papeete
Tahiti, French Polynesia
Tahiti
Tahiti
Moorea
Moorea
3 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
488 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in the French Polynesia (family trip)!

Tahiti (where you need to fly into anyway), Moorea and Bora Bora are very good choices, with 3-4 days on Moroea and another 3-4 days on Bora Bora. Spend more time on Moorea if you want to do land activities and more time on Bora Bora if you want to do water activities.

Overwater bungalows are extremely expensive and are really designed for couples. I'd suggest treating your mother to one or two nights in an overwater bungalow on Bora Bora--just for that "bucket list" experience--but getting a regular room for you and your daughter and skipping the OWB on Moorea. We stayed at the Hotel Maitai Polynesia Bora Bora because it was reasonably priced, was within convenient walking distance to stores, restaurants and Matira Beach, and they have overwater bungalows as well as less expensive hillside rooms with amazing lagoon views.

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Moorea
Moorea
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Maitai Polynesia Bora Bora
Maitai Polynesia Bora...
1,257 Reviews
Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Matira Beach
Matira Beach
1,267 Reviews
Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Colorado
Level Contributor
927 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in the French Polynesia (family trip)!

We did a family trip with our 11 year old last summer. Loved it! Below is the link to my trip report. My son enjoyed the Papeete market, poisson cru (raw fish), the snorkeling/around the lagoon excursions, Heiva performances, hanging at the beaches, exploring the island (by rent cars), the Rotui juice factory on Moorea, kayaking, and just being there. I think it's a great destination for families even though it seems like everyone goes there for honeymoons. We never felt out of place or anything.

https:/…84688024

Mentioned in this post
Papeete
Papeete
Tahiti, French Polynesia
Moorea
Moorea
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in the French Polynesia (family trip)!

Although the lagoon in Bora Bora is far prettier than the lagoon on Moorea the snorkeling at the Hilton on Moorea is spectacular. If you and family want a great snorkeling option than I would suggest two rooms at the Hilton on Moorea, one overwater and one garden. The 3 of you can spend the days together at the OWB and enjoy the snorkeling. Your two rooms at the Hilton will probably cost less than one OWB on Bora Bora. If you are not into a lot of snorkeling and have the $$ than an OWB on Bora Bora will give you spectacular views.

Mentioned in this post
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Moorea
Moorea
Reply to: First time in the French Polynesia (family trip)!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted