We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Data only SIM card

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Data only SIM card

Hi all,

Is there a place to buy a data only SIM card at the PPT airport before our flight to Bora Bora. We arrive at 5am and depart for BB at 7am. Would any stores be open at that time? If not, is there any where on Bora Bora to get a SIM card? Would the card work on Ranigora as well?

Thanks,

Pat

11 replies to this topic
B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
906 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Data only SIM card

Pat. I am interested in the same. But I see you have had no response. Is there a country expert that can reply?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Data only SIM card

There is no (ok, was no last year) Vini kiosk in the airport. There was a souvenir shop right next to the domestic departures before the check-in counter (if you look at the counter it will be on the left) where they sell data/voice SIM cards. Both times I've been there they were out of the SIM cards and the sign above the cash desk said: "Don't even ask". So much for the Polynesian hospitality, meh.

There's also Tahiti Wifi booth there now, were you can _rent_ the wifi router with data SIM card in it, but I don't know their working hours. Ask them booking@tahitiwifi.com

Did you see the thread with almost the same subject next to this one?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
906 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Data only SIM card

Yes sorry....I saw that post after. 🙁

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Data only SIM card

I was replying to the original poster :-)

Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Data only SIM card

Can someone link me to the information about this? I’m assuming there is no way to have a plan through your US provider there..say Verizon?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Data only SIM card

Ashley, Verizon requires you to change the phone, as far as I know, because Verizon is CDMA with is American standard and only sparingly used in other countries. With T-Mobile and AT&T you can have an international package and use your phone, but for me (I'm AT&T customer) it's more expensive than local choices (Vini or TahitiWifi who rent Vini SIM cards).

Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Data only SIM card

Thanks for the reply. I looked at my coverage, and it seems that FP is "included" with my international plan with Verizon...HOWEVER, it's 2.49 a minute. I think the better option would be to buy a SIM card, so that's where my research is now. I don't think we will need a phone very much, as Wifi could be used for most of what we would need. However, we have a couple of transfers and I'm trying to sort out how that will work without some sort of communication. I've seen many posts about SIM cards, but nothing about just buying some sort of disposable phone like we have here...Trac Phone or the like? Hope this is making sense. I'm just thinking this would be easier than trying to make a SIM card fit an American device. Anyone?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Data only SIM card

If the "American device" is a relatively recent phone, it will work with foreign SIM _given_ that your operator allows you to do so. You know, when they abolished the slavery here in America, they didn't know about cell phones yet, so cell phone slavery is perfectly OK. You own the phone, but in many cases, you need to ask permission of your cell operator to use "foreign SIMs". Foreign means "non-Verizon" in your case, it could be T-Mobile :-)

So your best course of action would be to call Verizon support, tell them that you want to install foreign GSM SIM in it and listen to what they say.

With AT&T you can "unlock" your phone after some period of ownership and after that, you can install any compatible SIM in there without asking the permission. But to do the initial unlock you need to file a request with AT&T, wait for them to approve it and then they will push an update to your phone and you'll need to restart it. Verizon may have a similar procedure.

If you buy cheap GSM "unlocked" phone here in the States, you may run into the situation when this phone will not support all frequencies abroad and you'll get crappy coverage or no coverage at all. If you go this route you can visit Vini kiosk in Papeete and buy the cheapest phone they have with their SIM card.

Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Data only SIM card

I've been with Verizon for years..but no clue what that's going to look like with an Iphone X. I have several older phones laying around in a safe. I mean, OLD and some of them are even AT&T and maybe even Sprint, but they would need be connected to a Provider. (wouldn't they? I mean I can't take an old inactive cell phone and just pop a SIM card in and voila, have service can I)? It seems like the easier thing to do would, as you say..buy a cheap phone THERE and a SIM to use for the 10 days we're there. I hate to need it and not have it..but again, I feel like I can rely on WIFI calling and Whatsapp. I wouldn't care so much if I didn't have two rowdy teenagers back at home, and my husband's ailing Grandmother. I always think to myself..we all survived without cell phones, but it is what it is at this point.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Data only SIM card

iPhone X for Verizon is the so-called "global" iPhone. It works both in CDMA and GSM, so from the technical standpoint, you can put foreign GSM SIM in it. It's the same phone you can buy in the Apple Store as "unlocked" iPhone. But your phone is most probably locked to Verizon only, well, just because they can. Ask them to unlock and you'll be fine. Old AT&T phone most probably will also work, old Sprint will definitely not work. Old Verizon will not work too.

Reply to: Data only SIM card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted