We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culture on the The Caves Tour???

QLD, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
Culture on the The Caves Tour???

I am trying to decide whether to spend a day doing The Caves Tour. I would like to see the caves rather than the waterfalls cause I have been to so many during my travels, but also want to see some culture. Does the cave tour allow you to see Fijian people like I have read about the Waterfall Tour?

laj
Brisbane Aust
Level Contributor
377 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Culture on the The Caves Tour???

We did the caves tour with Adventures in Paradise. We all really enjoyed it.

We stopped in a village for lunch and kava.. some local Fijian children pushed our raft down the river for awhile. The kids even got to see a woman washing her clothes in the river nearby. It was an enjoyable day. The guide was a good laugh too.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
144 reviews
2. Re: Culture on the The Caves Tour???

Good tour you get to learn some of the history of Fiji and the Caves are something different. What about the Zipline or white water rafting?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
112 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Culture on the The Caves Tour???

We did the Cave tour in January...Was Excellent! You have lunch and a Kava ceremony then head for the caves. We also saw a lady doing her washing in the river, another family fishing and some children playing in the river (creek). The tour itself was fantastic...the guides do a great job -a very thorough knowledge of the area and history but entertaining too! Some village girls helped push our raft back down the river. A really great day with some really great guides!

QLD, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Culture on the The Caves Tour???

Sounds great - thank you....

Did you spend much time with the kids during lunch? We've heard that often people take school supplies for them.

What sort of shoes did you wear? Would crocs be good?

Also, did your belongings get wet? What sort of bag did you take?

laj
Brisbane Aust
Level Contributor
377 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Culture on the The Caves Tour???

No... a couple of children walked with us to the caves, but it wasn't the sort of place you take things. I'm a teacher and have arranged a private school visit through the resort. There wasn't a lot of interacting..

You don't get wet, unless you want too. Some people paddled alongside the rafts. It rained briefly on our walk, but we were dry within 1/2 hour!

Sandals etc are fine.. just comfy footwear.

To get into the cannibal caves, we had to go through a little sort of cave tunnel. Almost doubled over.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Culture on the The Caves Tour???

I havent done the Cave tour so cant comment but on culture the waterfall tour really does provide, especially if you stay for the lovo lunch and trust me..... Lovo lunches, the reals ones are hard to find!!

Now they are offering preschool visits, village tour and waterfall tour with lunch included.

Not sure what els the cave tour is offering

have fun with what ever tour you choose,, you will love Fiji

QLD, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Culture on the The Caves Tour???

Thanks to you all for the terrific advice and info....

I wish I had have used Trip Advisor forums before we went on our other holidays....

laj
Brisbane Aust
Level Contributor
377 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Culture on the The Caves Tour???

If you want real Culture.. the Sigatoka River Safari has more than the cannibal caves. They visit remote villages. We had a ceremony where the reverand read some prayers.. then a kava ceremony, then the village ladies made us lunch.. very Fijian... then we danced with the locals. THAT was an experience, then sat with the children and locals and chatted before a cool jet boat back home.

They visit a diffierent village every day and only for 6 months to keep them "real". On the caves tour, we just did kava outside a house somewhere along the way.

Different experiences, but it you are after culture, you'll get more on the safari.

QLD, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Culture on the The Caves Tour???

Do the people at the villages mind tourists taking photos or video of them and their houses, dancing, etc???

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Culture on the The Caves Tour???

No problem taking pictures, if you take a tour to a village/school. The Fijians love to have their pictures taken, especially the children. They enjoy seeing the pictures after you take them. I would not go to a village/school unannounced.

Edited: 29 September 2010, 08:26
Get answers to your questions about Sigatoka