We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooking and food

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Cooking and food

I have been to Fiji three times now.

I am surprised that a tropical island with abundant fresh produce including spices but the food is bland.

For example, not all fish have a strong flavour by itself so as a variety, such tasteless fish may need to be spiced up by marinating it with local spices... The lovo is another example where the meats can do with a bit of seasoning with local spices..

That’s my experience with eating in a number of places in Nadi, Port Denarau and even in Malamala Island Beach Club..

However, I have had a lovely curry puff (samosa) in a pop up roadside store near the airport (corner of Nasoso and Queens Roads)...

What do you guys who love Fiji think ?

3 replies to this topic
Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,470 posts
156 reviews
1. Re: Cooking and food

Lovo is tradtional Fijian, the idea is that you sample traditional Fijian food. As Indians make up a large portion of the population you find spucey curries on many resort menus and there are Indian restaurants in many places. Many of the chefs at resorts are Indian, it must be hard to cater to everyones tastes.

My husband takes Chili flakes with him as he likes hot spuce maybe you should do that too. Personally I don't like strong flavours or too spicey food.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Cooking and food

Thanks for your response..

I am aware that Lovo is traditional Fijian dish... There are a lot traditional dishes from various cultures around the world that has to modified to suit the international palate...

Flavours can include lemon grass, ginger (refreshing flavour not spicy hot), citrus, pineapple, etc... So, it not restricted to curries and chillies...

In Malamala, we were served luke warm bbq meats - chicken, prawns, fish...

Tapioca (cassava) is turned into chips or steamed but this starchy root can be cooked into kuih (bite sized snak or dessert) which I have not seen in Fiji...

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,470 posts
156 reviews
3. Re: Cooking and food

I understand what you are saying. I agree it would be disappointing to be served lukewarm bbq.

We have had modernized food at many resorts so it does exist in Fiji. Some have internationally trained chefs.

Some resorts have consultant chefs in to train their staff. So yes you can get Fijian food with a European twist.

Reply to: Cooking and food
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nadi
Recent Conversations