We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Sea Island or Tivua Island Day Cruise ??

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
47 reviews
South Sea Island or Tivua Island Day Cruise ??

I am tossing up between these 2 island day cruises. I have seen great reviews on the Captain Cook Tivua Island Cruise but not much on South Sea Island. Has anyone been to South Sea Island?

This is for my family 2 adults and 2 kids aged 10 & 8 years, and the prices of these two tours have a lot going for them!

Most importantly is the atmosphere and the quality of sand & snorkelling at either of these islands.

The more inclusions the better when you have to pay for a family.

We are off to Fiji in 3 weeks, everything else organised with the wonderful help of this forum.

Cheers

Fiji
Level Contributor
73 posts
1. Re: South Sea Island or Tivua Island Day Cruise ??

The Captain Cook boat is an old sail boat and if the wind is right they drop the sails one way and use the engine the other - so it can be a bit of fun but of course slower! The crew will play and sing for you to pass the time (sometimes the passengers do a turn!)

The boat to South Sea is modern and fast - only 30 mins, so nothing special, but gives you more time on the island. Both islands are similar, and both trips include a buffet lunch and drinks. It really hinges on the boat trip out there I think!

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: South Sea Island or Tivua Island Day Cruise ??

Thanks for your comments relaxtinfiji, based on you said we think we would like the fast cat, but is it easy to fill in 7 hours on South Sea Island or hard? I gather you have been on both trips.

Fiji
Level Contributor
73 posts
3. Re: South Sea Island or Tivua Island Day Cruise ??

yes easy! there is lunch and afternoon tea and drinks all day, snorkling, canoes, board games, sand sand sand and more sand. I took a book, a friend, and 2 three year olds last time I went, and the book never got opened!

NZ
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: South Sea Island or Tivua Island Day Cruise ??

I have heard that the South Sea Island day trip is also very good. Have you looked at the Malamala Day trip as well. It is only $89 per person, has all the inclusions as the others (transfers, drinks, food etc), plus children under 11 years are free....so your kids would be free! Worth checking out.

Maisey~

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: South Sea Island or Tivua Island Day Cruise ??

Hi Everyone, Just got back from Fiji yesterday. Ended up doing the Malamala Island, had a great day, but they don't provide morning or afternoon tea. We had breadfast at 7am, got picked up from Crow's Nest on the Coral Coast at 8.15am travelled to Denarau got on a putt putt boat (bit disappointing) selling no drinks or nibbles and did'nt get lunch until 12.30pm ! Phew, that's 5 1/2 hours with nothing!

We didn't take water because I felt sure they would sell it on the boat, well they don't and I surely complained.

So definately pack your own water and snacks if doing this cruise as it doesn't get back to the Coral Coast until around 8pm.

Boat trip out to island is 1 hour, snorkelling is not that good, pretty coloured fish but the coral was all grey, not much colour, bit disappointing. BBQ lunch was yummy and all drinks are inclusive. Kids can go hand line fishing and a walk around the island takes about 15 mins, all surrounded by white sand. There is plenty of shade in the form of huts, umbrellas and trees and they even have a flush toilet using water from the sea and a pump.

On the return boat trip the crew sing and play guitar and it's a bit of a party trip on the way home. They provided plenty of snorkelling gear although we took our own. Family ticket for Malamala was FJ$198 per family.

Was thinking about doing the Whales Tales Cruise but it's mostly sailing with 2 stops of around 45mins each for snorkelling, so the sailing bit would be a bit boring for kids, but apparently great for singles or couples.

6. Re: South Sea Island or Tivua Island Day Cruise ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 11:18