We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy duty free alcohol ?

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
12 reviews
Buy duty free alcohol ?

My travel agent told me not to buy duty free alcohol when departing Australia. She said that because there is no tax on alcohol in Fiji it's inexpensive and to just buy it in Fiji. Not even at the airport. I would have thought it (wine/spirits/beer) would be more expensive buying locally if they import it. What to do?

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
196 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Buy duty free alcohol ?

We found alcohol was definity cheaper Fiji end. Local Fiji beer cheaper again at supemarkets.

Safe travels :)

Cindy

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
551 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Buy duty free alcohol ?

If you like good spirits ie Bundy Rum, JW Whisky etc definately buy it duty free, if you are happy to try the local made spirits they can be purchased at resonable prices from supermarkets as well as the local beer. Wine (OZ & NZ ) is resaonably priced as well in supermarketsand bottleshops. I'm not sure that your travel agent is correct about the no tax comment - other posters may know.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Buy duty free alcohol ?

Alcohol is a lot cheaper in Fiji they have a small duty free shop just near the baggage collection areas but they may not have what you like. The shops in fiji also sell alcohol some of them may be cheaper but it depends on what you want. Either buy in Sydney to guarantee what you want or take pot luck and buy duty free in Nadi airport.

Seymour
1 post
4. Re: Buy duty free alcohol ?

It may depend on what you drink. What I know is that I drink Bacardi, and I found buying a Bacardi & coke in places was similar or fraction cheaper than at home (Melbourne) But I found the best deal was buying bottles of Bacardi in duty free shop in Nadi. It was $22AUD for 1lt bottle. Duty free in Melbourne was $28AUD.

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
150 reviews
5. Re: Buy duty free alcohol ?

If you want to buy spirits or beer local and other brands get it in Fiji. If you want wine then get it in Australia. Pack it in your bags amoung you clothes for protection as it is expensive at Sydney airport and Nadi duty free compared to local Aussie liquor stores. If you don't mind cask wine buy that take it out of the box and pack the bladder only in your check in luggage. We have friends who do this all the time. There is a good range of spirits in Fiji and they have the bigger bottles too.

melbourne
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Buy duty free alcohol ?

It is pretty simple. Beer buy in Fiji at supermarkets. Wine buy in Fiji at supermarkets unless you have specific tastes (small selection). Spirits unless you want to buy locally produced stuff definately buy duty free. I would recommend buying spirits duty free at Nadi where the prices are almost the same as in Aus except they're in Fiji dollars which will save you about 40%. The only time I wouldn't buy at Nadi is if you were after something a little harder to get in that case I would buy in Aus. The duty free is just next to the baggage carousel.

Have a great trip.

7. Re: Buy duty free alcohol ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2010, 14:16