We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Fiji for two months (savusavu)

3 posts
Save Topic
Living in Fiji for two months (savusavu)

Just graduated college last august and have never been out of the country. Time for an awesome adventure before a real job and within the past two weeks I've found a place to live and am mailing off the deposit.

We're staying in Savusavu but we want to explore! Are there any places that we absolutely MUST SEE? and the cheapest way to make it happen?

We also don't know how much money to expect to spend on food(for two months). We would love to buy local and have read about super cheap prices.

Ive also been told opposing things. Wear modest clothing, but I've had a friend who went to school in Fiji and she said that's only in the books and it's okay to wear tank tops. And I've seen postings about the beaches being private, but Han's who owns a place and is in some of the books said I've been misinformed and that the beaches are public.

Since we'll be there for two months are there any recommendations about what to do money wise? Like open a temporary account if they do that? Were from the USA

5 replies to this topic
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Fiji for two months (savusavu)

Bula from Savusavu. Glad to hear you've chosen our small piece of paradise to spend your break in. I'll try to answer some of your questions. Re food - you'll find that our open market in the center of town is best on Saturdays but is open every other day except Sundays - really good seasonal fresh fruit and veg and lots of seafood. Prices are very reasonable and at the moment your US$ fetches FJ$1.80 so you're already way ahead. MH's is probably best for grocery items and they too are open every day with a half day on Sundays. I'm not sure if you can open a bank account but if you have a credit or debit card there are 3 Banks in town with ATM machines so easy access. While you're in Savusavu you must do a Pearl Farm Tour with J Hunter Pearls - they are also located in town and their farm is in the bay just off shore. If you're interested in water sports there is RocknDownder in town who specialize in Scuba Diving and kayaking and there is also a local guy named 'Lino' - Capt Nemo's Adventures - he is a really great guy and guide and will take very good care of you - his base is Hot Springs Hotel so if you want to locate him go by the hotel where you'll also be able to get WIFI access if you're bringing your laptop and have a swim in their fresh water pool. The Copra Shed Marina is a neat place to visit and in there you'll find a great Pizza place, an art gallery, Trip n Tours, and the Savusavu Yacht Club - great place to meet people over sundowners. You'll find that everyone in Savusavu very friendly and helpful so if you need any help with anything just ask.

Hope you have a great holiday and that this info helps - Rgds, Lorna

p.s. forgot about clothing - when we say 'modest clothing' we mean that walking around town in a bikini is not a good idea. Shorts and halter tops are fine though but if you do happen to visit a Fijian Village it is recommended that ladies cover their legs with a sarong out of respect.

Dunedin NZ
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Fiji for two months (savusavu)

Hi

You can jump the ferry to Taveuni,takes 5 hours, or the bus to Buca Bay and then a 1 hour ferry ride, gets you to the Garden Island, waterfalls in Bouma National Park, natural waterslide, surfing, snorkelling, swim with the dolphins at Matei, travel to Qamea Island where there are no vehicles and wonderful people living a subsistence lifestyle, all next to the world's best island resort owned by the RedBull guy, but at budget prices.Cool enough for Oprah and Naomi...

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Fiji for two months (savusavu)

It always fascinates me when celebs like Oprah and Naomi are mentioned as visiting places like Taveuni, I wonder whether they've been able to see and experience the 'real place' or if they are so closeted that they only get the pristine tourist version. That would be a shame, I have a place marked out that I'm so looking forward to staying on Taveuni and a highlight I'm looking forward to is interacting with the locals and their culture. I'd love to visit Savusavu too, one trip at a time though... after many years in waiting we'll be able to begin revisiting our Fiji dream again in 2012, can not wait!

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,598 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Fiji for two months (savusavu)

Lucky you Savusavu is a hidden gem. Unspoiled by tourism it is beautiful. We went to a beautiful waterfall, involved trekking through the jungle for about an hour but well worth it, kayaked up a salt water river with the tide to a beautiful salt water lake our guide told us of the legends of the area, really lovely. The town is lovely and the Copra Shed good for a drink. It is so nice to get away from the foreign owned western styled resorts of some other areas of Fiji and mix with the locals.Public transport is a fun way to get about too and cheap.

Save Taveuni for another trip it has some wonderful places to see too.

Dunedin NZ
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in Fiji for two months (savusavu)

Taveuni is certainly worth a trip on it's own, but may warrant inclusion in this trip if you get a little stir crazy doing two months in Savusavu, an interesting town visited and written about by Melville, Zane Grey, Hemmingway, Somerset Maugham and a host of other writers. Rupert Brook reputedly had a south seas romance there, and Savusavu has been a centre of American settlement since about 1790 when American traders arrived to buy sandalwood, an industry which lasted some 40 years until the wood was pretty well cleaned out. You may wish to involve yourself in reforestation should you find the time and energy. Savusavu Bay was where the US Fleet assembled before the attack on Guam, as all communications in and out were able to be controlled and thus the Japanese could not be warned. Fiji has many, many "lovely" places, but it is gilding the lily to call Savusavu "lovely"- it is interesting, indeed fascinating, brimming with history, with a sort of border town appeal ( it is of course a point of entry for international yachts) but if you want the real Fiji, the pristine white sand beaches and the rural indigenes who have not been over-exposed to western tourists, you will have to go further afield. A word of caution-exercise an element of circumspection when it comes to drinking parties with locals, you may find yourself in a situation where you are not in control...

Reply to: Living in Fiji for two months (savusavu)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vanua Levu
Recent Conversations