We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about ATM withdrawal limits and charges

Singapore
Level Contributor
482 posts
226 reviews
234 helpful votes
Questions about ATM withdrawal limits and charges
Save

We are looking to withdraw FJD from the ATMs in Nadi, Pacific Harbour and possibly other city areas in Viti Levu once we arrive in Fiji.

(1) Does anyone know whether there is any withdrawal limit per transaction and/or per day?

(2) If I have ATM cards with the Cirrus/Plus logos issued in Singapore, can they can be used to withdraw FJD from any Westpac, ANZ or Bank of South Pacific ATMs (assuming they have been activated for overseas ATM withdrawals usage) ?

(3) What are the ATM fees for withdrawing FJD using overseas-issued ATM cards using Westpac, ANZ or BSP ATMs. Is this a fixed figure or a percentage of the amounts withdrawn?

(4) Is there a known risk of ATM card skimming or other kinds of ATM fraud in Fiji, particularly in the tourist areas?

Thanks!

1. Re: Questions about ATM withdrawal limits and charges

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 April 2016, 12:20
Edited: 4 years ago
2. Re: Questions about ATM withdrawal limits and charges

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the Tripadvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 April 2016, 11:35
Edited: 4 years ago
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
3,016 posts
41 reviews
85 helpful votes
3. Re: Questions about ATM withdrawal limits and charges
Save

Bula TimFP- in answer to your queries - and what I know or have experienced.

(1) With most ATM's in Fiji there is a limit of $1000-00 per 24 hours.

(2) As long as you have the international symbols loaded like Cirrus, Plus etc. yes you can withdraw funds.

(3) Depending on your bank - i.e. for Westpac Fiji it is $9-00 as a foreign transaction fee, plus $9-00 for the priviledge of using that ATM. Some banks are different. Doesn't seem to be a difference for iittle or large transactions - the same, no fixed amount. It is better to withdraw a substantial amount at a time, remembering you are charged each time withdrawing from any ATM. Check charges with your bank.

(4) According to social media and other posts, yes there has been some instances of scamming in Fiji - before putting your card into an ATM check to see if there's been any tampering with the device. And be aware of any credit card 'skimming' via electronic means (airports, public places etc.) - but this can happen anywhere in the world.

Good idea to advise your bank that you are going overseas, Another tip is to purchase a 'credit card holder' which prevents to some extent skimming via electronic means - these are very cheap - i.e. $2-3.

Don't think Fiji is any worse than any other country.

Singapore
Level Contributor
482 posts
226 reviews
234 helpful votes
4. Re: Questions about ATM withdrawal limits and charges
Save

Thank you flicarose, that is very helpful information indeed!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
15 helpful votes
5. Re: Questions about ATM withdrawal limits and charges
Save

I got an ANZ travel card thinking because they had ANZ in Fiji, I would save in fees.

Cost me about $14 everytime I withdrew, $7 from the travel card $7 from the ATM.

Most of the accommodation I stayed at did not take cash and put it on a tab. food, drink tours, massages which you could then pay eftpos.

Would recommend writing down what you spend and settling the tab every 2 days, as whenever I went to settle there were variances.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
27 reviews
44 helpful votes
6. Re: Questions about ATM withdrawal limits and charges
Save

I'm interested in this topic as well. I have the Citibank plus debit card which has no international transaction fees or charges for using atms. Do I get charged by the atm provider for using it? e.g. ANZ etc?? I've used my card in China and had no fees at all to use ATMs, although that is because their banks don't charge to use the ATMs. I know I would have fees in say Thailand as they have a set amount of baht per withdrawal no matter the amount withdrawn, so I only take cash. I'm interested as I will be staying at The Warwick and don't want to have to pay the 3% surcharge on the credit card on the bill at the end (again my credit card has no international conversion fees) so I am just weighing up the best and cheapest options for paying the bill at the end....cash or credit/debit card.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
27 reviews
44 helpful votes
7. Re: Questions about ATM withdrawal limits and charges
Save

Bump

Singapore
Level Contributor
482 posts
226 reviews
234 helpful votes
8. Re: Questions about ATM withdrawal limits and charges
Save

Hello,

We are just back from Fiji and we used our ATM cards for FJD withdrawals a couple of times at ANZ and WestPac ATMs at the airport, Nadi area and Pacific Harbour.

From our experience ANZ (as the ATM provider) charges a flat access fee of FJD12 for each ATM transaction (maximum withdrawal : FJD900 per transaction) and our bank charges a separate fee for withdrawals in foreign currency- you will have to confirm such fees with your own bank. Westpac (as the ATM provider) also charges a flat access fee per transaction but I didn't save the stub showing the the amount.

Our experience is that the actual conversion rate (excluding the ATM access fees and your bank's own fees highlighted above) using ATMs is as competitive as (or slightly better than) the best rates offered by the money changers in Nadi (including the banks).

As mentioned by Flicarose, it is best to withdraw as large amounts as possible each time.

We used credit cards at restaurants/establishments where there is no additional 2.5-3 % credit card fee.

Regards,

Tim

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
27 reviews
44 helpful votes
9. Re: Questions about ATM withdrawal limits and charges
Save

so now the fee is FJ$12 per transaction and max of FJ$900....that is pretty crap. It is almost not worth worrying about and just copping the 3% fee from the resort as my credit card doesn't have any conversion fees.

What about changing cash at the airport? What is the rate like and what is the fee? (against AUD)

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
3,016 posts
41 reviews
85 helpful votes
10. Re: Questions about ATM withdrawal limits and charges
Save

The exchange rates change daily - there are NO fees to change AUD to FJ$ at Western Union at Nadi Airport. Lotus (Namaka and Nadi) will give slightly better rates - again no fees. Current exchange presently rate fluctuates between say $1.41 and $1.45 from the above locations.

USDUSD
Australia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.