We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef Damage from cyclones

Los Angeles, Ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Reef Damage from cyclones

I am planning a trip to Navini in Fiji in July and have heard there is substantial damage to the coral. I am a diver and my wife and I are avid snorkelers, so we will definatly visit some offshore sights, but we both enjoy hanging on the beach and having the luxury of exploring right from shore. It's a long expensive trip to fiji so I want to be sure. Has anyone been lately, What are your thoughts and suggestions? May have to postpone and see Bonaire instead????

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reef Damage from cyclones

You might read the reviews then private message posters. Regular poster, and DE for Navini, Hooked on Fiji was there over Christmas. Not sure when she will return home.

Should you decide against Navini, there are many other resorts with breathtaking snorkeling. We enjoyed the snorkeling off Navini several years, but thought it better at other resorts.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reef Damage from cyclones

Hi BeachKing1,

As E&C advised, HookedOnFiji who is back home tomorrow from spending 2 weeks at Navini will be able to give you the best up to date advice.

When we were there in May last year, it had definitely suffered from Cyclone Evan, but still had lots to see and enjoy.

Another option would be Botaira Resort - fantastic snorkelling off the beach at all tides.

Enjoy the planning ~

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reef Damage from cyclones

Was at Botaira after the cyclone and found the reef to be in excellent condition with very healthy coral and a wide variety of fish. Bonaire and in particular the small island off Bonaire called Kleine Bonaire has the healthiest coral I have seen in the Caribbean but in Bonaire you see the same species of coral and fish as elsewhere in the Caribbean. The coral and fish species in Fiji are quite different than those in the Caribbean.

4. Re: Reef Damage from cyclones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 17:22