We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Hoppers Helicopter Transfer

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Island Hoppers Helicopter Transfer

Hello fellow trip advisors!

I just booked my Fiji Honeymoon for May of this year and am very excited! I will be splitting my time between the Hilton in Denarau and at Liku Liku Lagoon Resort.

I have been thinking about getting a helicopter transfer between the two resorts as a surprise for my soon to be wife. I tried searching and read both good and bad things, but there is not a whole lot of info. So i am writing to get some advice!

1. Has anyone used Island hoppers for transfers? How was your experience? Was it worth the cost vs taking a boat transfer?

2. I was checking the price from Denarau to Liku Liku on their online booking tool and the cost is $452 FJD per person (one way). How come a 12 min transfer is more expensive than both the 20 min and 30 min scenic tours that are shown on their website ($339 and $439 respectively)? That doesn't really make sense to me.

3. This is more of a question to ask them, but I would love to have a combo scenic tour and transfer to our resort. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks!

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Hoppers Helicopter Transfer

Hi Sam2428

I've used Island Hoppers twice and have found them to be professional and reliable. The flights to the islands are quite scenic and are the way to go if you are looking to get to your resort quickly. In that sense, they are worth the extra (considerable) expense but if getting to Likuliku in a hurry isn't a concern then the ferry transfer is a great way to see the islands on the way. This leads into your second question about the price difference in the ferry transfers. The direct, hence quicker, transfer is probably more in demand especially for those who have travelled to the islands before and have experienced the longer trip on a previous occasion.

One other thing about island hoppers is that they operate in a visual flight rules environment only (the choppers anyway) and they won't fly in bad weather or if they can't complete the flight before the light fades. Consider the ferry transfer as a back up if you choose the chopper flight and have some travel insurance just in case. Hope you guys have a great honeymoon at Likuliku! You've picked a great spot and won't be disappointed.

Edited: 18 March 2012, 18:35
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Hoppers Helicopter Transfer

Hey FijiFan! Thanks for the reply. I do not necessarily need to be there quickly....in actuality i will have a decent amount of time between check out of one hotel and check in time for Liku Liku.

I wanted to get a helicopter transfer more for the fun ride and the experience. That is why i was thinking about getting a scenic tour and a transfer together if possible.

This way kill 2 birds with one stone (get a tour and transfer).

I am assuming by your comment that island hoppers will not refund your money if they cannot fly due to bad weather (hence the need for travelers insurance?)

Anyone else experience them?

Australia
Level Contributor
598 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Hoppers Helicopter Transfer

We used them to get from airport to Vomo. We had an Aussie pilot, who was professional and friendly. It was a spectacular trip and we loved every minute of it. Our kids 5 and 2 at the time had an absolute blast.

If I was your wife to be, I would see it as an unbelievable exciting suprise!

I would email them direct with any questions

you had.

Was it worth the cost? YES it certainty beats the boat!!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Hoppers Helicopter Transfer

Hi Sam2428,

We've flown to Likuliku by helicopter and it was wonderful --- definitely worth the extra $$ and you have more time at Likuliku ! We had to delay arriving at Nadi airport (for clearance) and the pilot did some figure 8's over a huge manta ray -- fantastic !!

Have a look at the prices of sea planes -- we've flown to LL three times by seaplane (same flying time) and it's great to arrive on the water and have your greeting at the Masima Bar.

You'll love Likuliku -- Happy Honeymooning,

Julie.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,519 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Hoppers Helicopter Transfer

The view of the reefs from the air alone is worth the trip by helicopter. It is not a long flight maybe if you want to make it a sightseeing trip as well as a transfer this could be organised for an additional cost. The view from the helicopter is better than that from the seaplane, much better vision. I am sure you will have an amazing honeymoon on Likuliku.We have always found Island Hoppers to be very good.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,295 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Hoppers Helicopter Transfer

We flew with Island Hoppers from Nadi to Viwa a few years ago. The pilot was professional and a lot of fun giving insight to the sites. Views of the islands and water was breathtaking. Be aware luggage weight limits are strictly adhered to.

We always get travel insurance to cover unforeseen circumstances. Let alone inter island flights from Nadi to the islands, flights from the states could be delayed or cancelled because of weather or mechanical problems. God forbid there be a family emergency or one of us become ill and unable to travel to Fiji, or should we have a medical emergency while in Fiji.

Recommend reading the resort's cancellation policy.

Would contact Island Hoppers regarding their policy regarding refunds should flights have to be cancelled due to weather or other problems.

Am sure you will have a fabulous time at LikuLiku.

Edited: 19 March 2012, 15:40
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Hoppers Helicopter Transfer

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I know i am bringing this thread back to life. I almost forgot i posted this...

Just wanted to give some information to someone else that might be curious as well. I inquired about doing a scenic tour and how much extra it would be if we wanted to be dropped off at Liku Liku during the end of the tour. I assumed we would be touring the mamanuca islands any way....so it shouldn't be much of an additional cost right?

Wrong. I was quoted the price of the tour + the price of regular transfer to do this.

I think it will be best to just have a scenic tour on one of the days I am on the main land. This will work out better as i do not know how large/heavy of a suitcase my girl will bring along. Women always tend to pack lots and lots (no offense to anyone :) I'm not saying it is a bad thing haha)

Thanks!

8. Re: Island Hoppers Helicopter Transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 12:42