We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers to Royal Davui

Melbourne
7 posts
Save Topic
Transfers to Royal Davui

Hello all,

A huge thank you for all the info so far! We are off to Royal Davui next month for our honeymoon and I was just wondering if anyone can tell me a little more about the standard air/boat transfers? We are booked to fly on their small plane from Nadi airport to Pacific Harbour and being a nervy flyer I would like to know what I'm in for!! I know it's a fairly small plane but I was wondering how many it seats and others experiences of it?! Very much looking forward to it though! :)

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers to Royal Davui

The plane is fine quick flight, small but is capable of landing on land or sea.

Think from memory they seat about 12 people, fantstic views of the islands and reefs. If yu choose to go the long way you are in for a 2/12hr drive to Navua Wharf then a boat trip of about 3/4 of hour to Royal DAvui. Can often be quite choppy. Be brave and fly, maybe a helicopter.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers to Royal Davui

Leipopy,

Best person to contact here is "Davui_Marketing" which is Chris Southwick's account.

tripadvisor.com.au/members/Davui_Marketing

If for some reason he isn't able to comment due to TA rules or something, I'll pass on information he gave me regarding transfers to RD.

In context to the comment I was asking about helipads on Davui and Seaplanes flying direct to Davui (rather than plane + boat).

This was his reply:

===================================

"We do have a heli-pad at Royal Davui and the seaplanes are able to land, however the issue for both is price.

As we are so remote both the seaplane and helicopter companies charge a substantial charter fee to come out our way (You're looking at about FJD2800 (AUD1500) one way for two people in the helicopter). "

===================================

Will probably be something like a Dehavilland Beaver that transports you. Cute little planes.

Oh and take headphones/earphones as they can be pretty loud planes. that might help to ease some of the stress too.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers to Royal Davui

If you are flying to Pacific Harbour as you mentioned, you then transfer to aw launch out to the island

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g1056179-…

Look at the travellers pics of the planes they use, they do have their own plane see pic No. 50 or use Pacific Island Air see pic No. 11

Guess it depends on passenger numbers as to which plane is used

You'll be quite safe on the planes, and will have amazing views of the country side on you way to Pacific Harbour airstrip. But as Hooked on mentioned depends on sea conditions for the launch trip.

Edited: 05 November 2011, 19:24
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers to Royal Davui

Awesome find LTB!!

#11 looks like a Britten-Norman BN-2A-26 Islander. Looks like Paciffic Island Air run a few of these for inter-resort transfers. I know that DQ-SLM is the plane Vatulele Island Resort use for island transfers.

#50 is a Cessna 337 belonging to Royal Davui Resort :)

I'm not sure if this puts you at ease or not, but Fiji has a very good safety record with aeroplanes.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfers to Royal Davui

Yes it is a Cessna 337 they purchased it in 2009

I've flown in a few different models of Cessna's in outback Queensland, and have always had safe flights...I'm still here.

Can be disconcerting if you haven't been in a plane that small, but great views!

And the other is a Brittten-Norman Islander (not sure of the model) but they used to fly to both Mana and Malolo Lailai Island airstrips (service ceased June 2010) I haven't flown on one of these!

LTB

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfers to Royal Davui

Yeah I wouldn't be too worried. Call me wierd but I describe the 337's as "cute" little planes.

The noise is the most likely thing to make someone anxious I reckon. I liken it to having your head next to a lawn mower :)

The BNI's are louder than 337s in my opinion.

earjobs.com.au/products/alpine-flyfit-travel…

Grab yourself those, or an equivalent, as they deaden the noise of the aircraft significantly and allow your ears to pressure correctly.

They are in Melb as well that mob. I have a few sets from them. Concert, Plane, and Photography (Motorsport).

Edited: 05 November 2011, 21:31
Melbourne
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfers to Royal Davui

Thank you all so much!! I know it wouldn't be enough to stop me going but it will certainly be a new experience! I really appreciate the feedback - it's just nice knowing a little more info about it before we actually get there :) Thanks again and happy travels to you all!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfers to Royal Davui

No problems at all leipopy.

Hope you have a wonderful and safe trip..

Be sure to leave a review about Royal Davui when you come back for us all to read :)

9. Re: Transfers to Royal Davui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2012, 15:18