We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bora Bora vs. Fiji - anyone been to both?

Which Fiji hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
11 posts
Save Topic
Bora Bora vs. Fiji - anyone been to both?

Anyway...

My wife and I are planning our 10 wedding anniversary in October this year. We have about 12 days to spend in either location. We are torn to which location would be best for us. This is probably the only time we will see this part of the world.

We have been searching/reading both forums but have been unable to find the right answers we seek. So, here goes nothing...

We are looking for a 5 star resort with service to match, good snorkeling, excellent food, and numerous activities to choose. If we need to travel off site for one of those above we don't mind. If we choose BB we will choose a OWB, otherwise beachfront bure in Fiji. Our budget is around $10000 for 7-12 days including food. We have no kids and would prefer someplace either kid free or older kids only.

So....if anyone has been to both places, I would really appreciate some help in this area. Thank you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bora Bora vs. Fiji - anyone been to both?

$10,000 for 12 days on Bora Bora with air and food in an OWB is probably impossible. From the East Coast of the US your air to Tahiti is about $1600 per person and add on $400 per person to get to Bora Bora. You have now spent $4,000 leaving only $6000 for your stay. Most of the OWB units will be in the $600 - $1,000 a night range perhaps including breakfast.

In Fiji I believe only one resort has OWB and that is at over $1,000 a night.

Food is really, really pricey in French Polynesia.

Consider this. A 7 night cruise on the Paul Gauguin which is all inclusive, including drinks (5 star ship with only about 330 passengers). They offer 50% off their cruise fare and FREE air from Los Angeles. Their fare is in the mid $4,000 range per person but you have the air included, all food, etc. They also offer an onboard credit of either $500 or $1,000 on some sailings making most shore excursions paid for. Couple this with a few nights on Moorea in an OWB and you are set. Ferry from the cruise terminal to Moorea is only $30 US round trip vs. $400 to fly to Bora Bora (the ship visits Bora Bora and other islands).

We did an 11 night cruise with them and 5 nights in an OWB at the Hilton in Moorea. Absolutely world class snorkeling at the Hilton. You can look at my lengthy trip report from July in the cruise critics members reviews.

We loved the region and are going to Fiji in June staying 8 nights on Matangi Island followed by a 6 night cruise on the Blue Lagoon Cruise Ship (70 or so passengers).

Pittsburgh, PA
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bora Bora vs. Fiji - anyone been to both?

Thank you Medic. I did not include airfare in with my budget because that will be taken care of separately. I figured 12 days OWB was stretching the budget. I figured 7 at best.

That cruise doesn't sound all that bad. I will check to see if they have any sailings over our travel time.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bora Bora vs. Fiji - anyone been to both?

Have a look at Likuliku Lagoon Resort for over water Bures

They do have deals whitch include all meals which may suit your budget.

http://www.likulikulagoon.com/home.cfm

There are other adult only resorts which have beautiful beaches and waterfront bures which you may love.

Also for the adventure of a lifetime have a look at the Tui Tai cruise, it's on my dream list.

http://www.tuitai.com/index.php

happy to help further, but I may add that you will find that many places in Fiji are much less touristy and natural than Tahiti.

LTB

Atascadero, Ca
Level Contributor
190 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bora Bora vs. Fiji - anyone been to both?

If this is your only opportunity to visit South Pacific islands, then you must go to Bora Bora. It truly is more beautiful. Yes, you could do Bora Bora for $10,000 for a week OWB. Check Travelzoo, Expedia, Etc. There are deals. I saw on Travelzoo a few weeks ago $2800 per person OWB for a week. Fiji is cheaper, but for the money you are spending, Bora Bora is much nicer. Also, do not be afraid to check out beach front bungalows instead of OWB. They are so nice too and less money. Good Luck.

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bora Bora vs. Fiji - anyone been to both?

I've been to both - we got married in fiji and had our honeymoon in Bora Bora. Both are beautiful places in a different way - fiji is much cheaper though for meals and tours.Snorkelling/diving are both great as well! Living in Sydney, I actually prefer Fiji because it is so much closer and the locals are so friendly. Bora bora needs an extra flight to get there from Papeete - a really scenic flight I might add!

6. Re: Bora Bora vs. Fiji - anyone been to both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 12:19