We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling with baby, is it safe? do they need vaccine?

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
travelling with baby, is it safe? do they need vaccine?

Hi..about to go to fiji with 5 and half month old baby and a 4 year old. starting to get nervous. should I get the kids and us vaccinated against anything? we are staying at shangri-la for 8 nights. also are mosquito bites that bad? do I bring something to treat possible infection?

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling with baby, is it safe? do they need vaccine?

No vaccinations are required for entry into Fiji. That said, suggest you discuss getting vaccinated with your doctor.

Recommend taking a first aid kit with mosquito repellant, anti-itch spray, antibiotic creams, bandaids, something for an upset stomach, aspirin, or any other medicines you think you or your children might need.

The following link as additional information on other things to take with you. Hope this helps.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k3769…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling with baby, is it safe? do they need vaccine?

We stayed at the Shangr La in March this year and the mossies and sandflies weren't bad at all.

Agree with E&CinReno about discussing vacinations for your baby with your doctor. I have a 4, nearly 5, year old and didn't get him vacinated. My husband and I have never been either.

I think that it is a personal choice.

Nola :)

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling with baby, is it safe? do they need vaccine?

I would recommend you bring a mosquito net for the 5 1/2 month old. You can get cheap, elastic ones in target that you can stretch over prams and cribs. The 4 year old should be fine with just some repellent. There probably won't be many mosquitoes anyway. Your kids will be completely safe here in Fiji so there is nothing to be nervous about. They won't need any special vaccines either.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling with baby, is it safe? do they need vaccine?

Bula,

Have sent you a response to your message.......all great advice above and yes, I did all these things when my youngest was eight months old and we spent 11 days in Fiji. So relaxing for mums and highky recommended holiday. You will have a great time at the Shangri-la. We are going back for the third time in 3 years in under three weeks.

Sharon :)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling with baby, is it safe? do they need vaccine?

If I can just add my two cents (as a nurse) and frequent visitor to the tropics from the time my two sons were small babies! Being mindful of fluids intake to maintain hydration is really important; insect protection for prevention primarily; and keep an eye out to reduce possible gastroenteritis/tummy upsets mainly contracted through food prep & handling in the tropical heat, all helps make for a happy holiday. I'm sure your GP will offer you much sound advice.

6. Re: travelling with baby, is it safe? do they need vaccine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2011, 16:35