We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best island for snorkeling & mountain views?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
168 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Best island for snorkeling & mountain views?

Which of the (smaller) islands is the best for snorkeling right off of the beach and for good mountain views in the background?

Also, I understand that Fiji is tidal - what exactly does that mean for beach/snorkeling access? I.e. the tide is down for 2 hours a day for 5? Many of the areas I have seen are unsightly when the tide is out, and that certainly would have an impact on our honeymoon.

5 replies to this topic
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best island for snorkeling & mountain views?

If tides are extremely low or high you may not be able to snorkel off the beach depending how far away the reef is. Tides will be more extreme, if there is a full or new moon during your stay. There are two high tides, and two low tides in 24 hours. Takes about 6 hour to go out and 6 hours to come back in again , so you will be able to snorkel every day. We always check the tide charts before booking resorts to insure we can snorkel off the beach mid morning to early afternoon. You can check the tides for your dates in the following link. The less distance between the peaks and valleys, the less extreme the tides will be.

bom.gov.au/oceanography/…tidecalendars.shtml

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,162 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best island for snorkeling & mountain views?

Octopus would be my pick it has stunning volcanic peaks. All ocean beaches are tidal so easier access at mid to high tides. Tides are usually only extreme at full moon.

Edited: 16 October 2017, 14:01
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,162 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best island for snorkeling & mountain views?

There are two high and 2 low tides in every 24 hours. You can Google Fiji tides to see when these will occur at time you are planning to visit

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
701 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best island for snorkeling & mountain views?

I agree that Octopus is a great choice for snorkeling and mountains. To access the mountains, though, you'll need to go with their organized tour.

GoldCoast,OZ
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best island for snorkeling & mountain views?

Definitely Matamanoa--snorkelling is superb--lots of live coral all around the island. Octopus pales in comparison.

Reply to: Best island for snorkeling & mountain views?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted