We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities on the (smaller) islands?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
661 posts
100 reviews
Activities on the (smaller) islands?

If you haven't seen my previous post, I am looking into going to one of the smaller islands of Fiji for our honeymoon. It would most likely be one of the Yasawa Group. Matamanoa looks like it would be nice. Our other main concern (along with access/availability of food) is that we would become bored. We love lounging around and relaxing on the beach, but we certainly are not ones to do that for the entire trip. We would snorkel every day, but are looking for other activities as well, i.e. hiking, sightseeing.

While in Bora Bora, we had stayed on the main island for a few days to explore and finished our trip with the remaining days on a private island (motu).

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Activities on the (smaller) islands?

Resorts have a mix of both complimentary tours/activities, and those at an additional cost. Have a look at the websites for resorts you are considering as to which suits you best. Matamanoa has lots of both:

matamanoa.com/activities/island-activities.h…

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
298 reviews
2. Re: Activities on the (smaller) islands?

You don't really here of people becoming bored on the islands as there is always plenty to do.

You will find that most resorts have a daily activities board where you can view what is going on for the day. An eReader is a hander toy to have as it means you don't have to lug big heavy books around. There is also star gazing with your beloved in the evening

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,160 posts
146 reviews
3. Re: Activities on the (smaller) islands?

Matamanoa is in the Mamanuca Island Group. Easier to get too than the Yasawa Islands. You can snorkel, scuba dive or just lounge in the sun. Nice resort and popular. Not many islands offer hiking. In the Yasawa Group Blue Lagoon might suit you can do walks on this island and it has snorkeling off the beach, popular but does take children and backpackers but has high end accommodation too.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
709 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Activities on the (smaller) islands?

I totally shared your concern ahead of my recent 9-night stay in the Yasawa's (5 at Octopus, 4 at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort). I typically have trouble sitting still for more than a couple hours. It turned out not to be much of an issue. There is always something new to see by snorkeling (which you can do right from those, and many other, resorts), and the daily boat tours to alternate snorkel spots, hikes, village visits, etc., took up the slack. As a bonus, there were always many interesting fellow travelers to talk with.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Activities on the (smaller) islands?

Hi Razzel,

I'm interested to hear how you would compare Octopus to Blue Lagoon Resort, did you prefer one over the other and / or any particular issues with either?

Thanks

Maree

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
709 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Activities on the (smaller) islands?

Octopus has better reef and snorkeling from the beach, slightly better food, and slightly better and more abundant beach lounging facilities. Blue Lagoon Beach resort has good hiking (which you can only do with a guide at Octopus), and slightly better nearby boat-accessed snorkeling (over by the actual Blue Lagoon). All-in-all, I'd go with Octopus if I had to pick one. With the ferry system, however, it's easy to hop among the resorts.

I hope this helps!

7. Re: Activities on the (smaller) islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2018, 15:16