We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from the airport

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from the airport

I'm looking for a bit of info on how to get to the airport to the city center (specifically the Palermo area). How easy is the bus system? And how much does it cost? I speak Spanish fluently, so the language isn't a problem, but I'm traveling alone and have never been to Montevideo, so I'm conscious of not wanting to get lost.

Also, how long does it usually take from airport to Palermo? I'm getting in at 6:15pm on a Friday, so does anyone have an idea of approximately how long it takes to clear customs (no checked bags) and take the bus/taxi? Thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
punta del este...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from the airport

ejw:

There are buses every few minutes to the downtown terminal at Tres Cruces via Avenida Italia, leaving from the walkway just outside the terminal building -- mainline buses like COT and COPSA are a little faster since they make fewer stops than the regular city buses. Fare around $1 US; maybe 30 minutes.

Tres Cruces is very close to Palermo--just the other side of Parque Rodo. Taxis available at the terminal -- fares are very reasonable. One oddity: the taxi meter records "points" not pesos -- the driver uses chart to compute the peso fare.

Montevideo Carrasco airport is very small -- immigration and customs take at the most a few minutes. Mercosur residents are usually waved through with barely a wink at customs. The only glitch is mid-mornings when full flights arrive from Spain, Brazil and Paraguay simultaneously.

Mentioned in this post
Tres Cruces
Tres Cruces
236 Reviews
Montevideo, Uruguay
Parque Rodo
Parque Rodo
2,062 Reviews
Montevideo, Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
Carrasco Airport
Carrasco Airport
Montevideo, Uruguay
Brazil
Brazil
South America
2. Re: Getting from the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 14:31
;