We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking - fitness levels?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trekking - fitness levels?

we are thinking of doing the Salkantay trek as the Inca trail is booked.

I am worried that i wont be fit enough.....

How hard is it? It says moderate to difficult but what does that mean????????

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekking - fitness levels?

HIRE A HORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was stressed right out about that too - now i have no stresses!!!! just romantic thoughts of me and my HOS - galloping about the ANDES!!!!!!!!!! HA!HA!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trekking - fitness levels?

Hiking at high altitudes is always an effort. You will enjoy your hike more if you are in good shape, eventhough, this does not guarantee you wont have altitude sickness.

Peru
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trekking - fitness levels?

The hardest part of the Salkantay trek is definitely the altitude. The first two day are the most difficult and require the most climbing. On day 1, the campsite is at 13,100 feet (4,000m), and on day 2, you reach the highest pass at 15,100 feet (4,600 m). (By comparison, the highest point on the Inca Trail at Dead Woman's Pass is at 13,929 feet (4,215 m) above sea level.) After the first two days, the rest of the Salkantay trek is mostly downhill, and overall, it is not that much more difficult than the Inca Trail. For either trek, being somewhat fit, having a horse, and/or hiring a porter will definitely help.

Happy travels!

Anabel

Peru For Less

cusco peru
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trekking - fitness levels?

The hardest day is the Second day!! you have to walk 9 hours, 3 hours up and 6 hours down!!

Cheers

Meche PGT

PA
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trekking - fitness levels?

it all depends how you fair in high altitudes... best thing to do is acclimitizing urself first... and to NOT be anxious.. anxiety can affect ur breathing.. i had a hard time on my MP trek but w/a verrrrrry patient guide i was able to finish the trail!! **tears** hopefully u'll have two guides... our main guide was like a speeding gonzales always wanting to get to our next destination first but thankfully our 2nd guide paced w/me..

day 2 is the hardest on both trails.. day 3-4 less hrs hiking but its more like a zigzag up/down hike... going down was actually more difficult personally for me bc it wasnt a walking path but more like steps (8-20 inches)... get good hiking boots/poles :) maybe do some elliptical training to build up ur quads may help?!?

and dont forget to enjoy it!!!!! once in a life time experience!!!!! :]

6. Re: Trekking - fitness levels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:41