We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Physical fitness needed to view

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Physical fitness needed to view

I have booked a trip with Overseas Adventure Tours thatstays 2 nights in Cuzco and then uses a bus to go to Machu Picchu, ie. I am not hiking the Inca trail. Their literature states "must be able to walk 3 hours and participate in 6- 8 hours of physical activities per day". I am 70 yrs. old and in pretty good shape. I feel confident I can walk that far if it is not one continuous walk. Unfortunately, they haven't been very helpful in providing any other guidelines.I very much want to see Machu Picchu but am concerned about the requirements. I am assuming I will not walk through the ruins, but hope I can at least vue them and walk to whatevever part I can manage. I would appreciate any comments on the suitablity of my making this trip.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Physical fitness needed to view

I have seen people from all ages walking around Machu Picchu so I would not worry about it.

I would recommend a good pair of shoes and begin walking with them for an hour or two to prepare yourself for this trip.

Hope this helps you!

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
339 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Physical fitness needed to view

Hi there

what do you mean "I am assuming I will not walk through the ruins, but hope I can at least vue them and walk to whatevever part I can manage."

Briefly, you arrive at the entrance to the ruins by bus. It is possible to get to a good place to view the ruins in 10 mins walk. But what you is the norm is to walk uphill about half hour at a steady pace with rests, then from there walk around the ruins. The whole thing takes 2 hours or so including stopping frequently for the guide to explain.

The company you are going with, I have various friends who work as guides for them and I have seen the groups walking about quite a few times. It always looked like most of their customers were in their 60s and 70s, so I am confident you will be fine, and the guides I know who work for them are lovely patient people.

Have a great time

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,439 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Physical fitness needed to view

I would be more worried about the altitude.

Be sure you acclimatize well before you do long walks as the altitude could ruin your trip.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Physical fitness needed to view

Thank you. You have greatly relieved my anxiety.

5. Re: Physical fitness needed to view

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 10:16