We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lima vs. Cuzco?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Lima vs. Cuzco?

I'll be in Peru for just a week, with most of the time spent hiking the Inca Trail and in Cuzco/Sacred Valley. We have a connecting flight that departs at 1AM from Lima, and I have the option of spending a day in Lima, or instead, the extra time in Cuzco and taking a later flight.

So my question is, would it be worth it to take an early AM flight to Lima, drop our bags at the airport and check out the city? Are there some sights that we could take in for the day? Is safety an issue at all for two women traveling- especially when heading back to the airport around 10PM or so?

I haven't done much research on the city, but I know our main objective would be to try some really incredible food while in the country- ceviche, etc. But then we might be able to do this in Cuzco as well?

Edited: 07 January 2012, 06:27
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lima vs. Cuzco?

Ceviche in Lima...yes. And a reduced chance of missing your international flight.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lima vs. Cuzco?

Thanks...

I'm actually contemplating a 7AM flight vs. 5pm flight on LAN, so hopefully both would give me enough time to make the 1AM flight to Buenos Airesthat night.

Is the ceviche better in Lima than Cuzco?

Edited: 07 January 2012, 08:13
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,324 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lima vs. Cuzco?

While Cusco is a pretty city, I agree with mlgb, it's better to buffer your international flight with additional hours in Lima. There are hundreds of ceviche places in Lima, maybe thousands. Check the Lima Restaurant listing of TripAdvisor (left column of the screen) and the Things to Do.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lima vs. Cuzco?

Ceviche in Lima

Corn and cheese in Cusco

san mateo
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lima vs. Cuzco?

For sure the ceviche is better in Lima than Cusco--Cusco is a wonderful city but chicken and game food is more prevalent. Cusco is a long way from the ocean. Lima really has a lot to offer--take a cab to Centro de Lima and take in the city life of Peru. Also if you can check out the park Miraflores to see how Limenos enjoy a day. People always try to get out of Lima to get to Macchupichu but Lima really deserves a couple days to enjoy as well as well as Cusco which is a beautiful city in itself.

Boston
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lima vs. Cuzco?

Hi Cintagreen -

We just returned from a trip including both. I think it depends on what you like. I LOVED Cusco for the Inca temples and archeological stuff in the museums, the smaller-city atmosphere, the indigenous people's markets, etc. Lima is a huge city with great food available and mostly colonial museums, newer and very Spanish-feeling. We stayed in Miraflores and that was a very nice experience - it's a very safe, very high-end neighborhood on the ocean (think the Presidio area with more restaurants) but hire a driver from a reputable company to take you to the airport at 10 PM.

Logistically, I agree that it's better not to be cutting it close for your flights.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lima vs. Cuzco?

Thank you all for the help--- especially madukie, for the info on Lima! Sounds like Lima is worth a visit for the day and I think we'll opt for the morning flight from Cusco.

Do you have a recs for a reputable driver to take us back to the airport at night? Is it not recommended to hail a cab off the street?

Thanks again for the info.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lima vs. Cuzco?

You can arrange it with your hotel or you can contact Lima Cabs: www.limacabs.com

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lima vs. Cuzco?

It is more nice stay in Cusco , walk around the city is very very beatiful. and exellent shopping oportunity. Try Traditional Food in Cusco . Mani places Inca Places to visit still. go to San Pedro Market.

Edited: 11 January 2012, 01:43
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lima vs. Cuzco?

Here are some restaurant reccomendations in Miraflores for you:

For Ceviche – Try Punta Azul. It´s located on the corner of San Martin and Alcanfores (about a 5 minute walk from Parque Kennedy or Larcomar). It´s best to get there between 12 pm – 1 pm as the lines can get very crowded from 1 pm on. Any of the ceviches are fantastic and I would also recommend any of the following:

• Arroz con Mariscos (Seafood Rice)

• Conchitas a la Parmesan (Scallops baked with Parmasean cheese)

Tanta – One of Astrid Gasturios restaurants.

• Its located at the corner of 28 de Julio and Reducto (about 10 minutes walking from the Parque Kennedy or Larcomar). They have Spanish and English Menus here. To be honest everything is fantastic here. The Llomo Saltado and Atun (Tuna) are amongst my favorites but you can´t really go wrong with anything here.

Mangos – This is located in Larcomar (the outdoor shopping center overlooking the ocean in Miraflores) and has terrace seating overlooking the ocean. It´s open for lunch and dinner and has a wide variety of great options. On a sunny day it's one of the prettier places to sit outside and eat in Miraflores overlooking the ocean.