We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquito net for Amazon boat travel?

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
103 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
mosquito net for Amazon boat travel?

Hola - both Lonely Planet and the SA Explorers jungle guide mention buying a hammock and blanket before embarking on a boat trip. But they don't mention bringing a mosquito net. Since the malaria-carrying bloodsuckers feed from dusk till dawn, doesn't it make sense to wrap yourself like a mummy in mosquito netting while lying in your hammock? and can one buy nets in Pucallpa/Iquitos? Gracias.

1. Re: mosquito net for Amazon boat travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2012, 07:20
Panajachel...
Level Contributor
103 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquito net for Amazon boat travel?

Gracias, Héctor, por su respuesta. Interesante que las lanchas son mas rapidas que los mosquitos...obviamente Ud. nunca ha sido perseguido por los mosquitos de Alaska! Quizas los insectos sean mas perezosos en la selva, quien sabe. Gracias.

Lima, Peru
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquito net for Amazon boat travel?

Well, I realize this post is a year old. But I figure if I got here, somebody else will too.

I have traveled on the Ucayali, Marañon, and Amazon rivers in Peru. When I did it we were the only ones with mosquito nets on the lanchas. But, I wouldn't want to do it any other way. There are also lots of spiders living in the ceilings of the lanchas, and I felt a lot better having a net.

I have used the ENO Guardian mosquito net. It works great. Just do a search for it and you'll find it. I am sure there are other similar ones that would work well, too.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 31 January 2013, 01:15
Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquito net for Amazon boat travel?

I have traveled many of the rivers same as last post and have never had any mosquito problems on the river. I also would never go on an over night trip without one. You never know if you will end up on land somewhere, and it is a totally different story there. Also, it does get quite cool in the jungle and on the river, light blanket is also always a must for me.

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquito net for Amazon boat travel?

I cannot thank you ENOUGH for those two responses! THANK YOU THANK YOU! I've been trying to decide if carrying it on my journey was worth it...as I read I was supposed to in SE Asia and ended up not needing it and resenting the space it took up in my bag. Since then it's been demolished by to overzealous marking cats....but, I'll go ahead and get a new one! THANKS!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquito net for Amazon boat travel?

I would bring one just in case. I did'nt get bit once while in the Amazon jungle or on a boat ride on the Amazon river but everyone is different. I would buy a net in your home town and bring it a long - it should'nt take up too much room in your luggage.

7. Re: mosquito net for Amazon boat travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos