We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

Israel
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

We are 2 couples planning a trip to Peru at Aug 2011 for 2 weeks.

We want to go to Jungle trip for 3 days (2 nights).

What are the differences between Iquitos and Puerto Maldonado and which is reccomended?

Thanks Anat

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Madre de Dios Region, Peru
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

I thought the Eco lodge and the Jungle tour was excellent.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

each to their own,but i wouldn't want to pay those prices.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

I agree with you about each to their own..I normally travel mid range to occasional luxury. But I loved staying in the Jungle, it is so tranquil there.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

funny thing really,..."eco" added to a lodge makes the price more than double,so tourists have to work longer to earn more cash,to pay for their so called "eco" friendly trip in the first place......(which means more electricity used,and more water used,and more food eaten in their country),which equals to a not so "eco" logical scenario after all...har har..>>.oh well,if you wanna throw your dollars around,so be it..(.untill the next poor tourist comes around ,and can't do these tours).>>> because they're getting ridiculously expensive as misinformed tourists ,have fallen "hook,line and sinker" for a marketing strategy built on marrow mindedness...ho hum!!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,731 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

Actually both places are well recommended.

If you are going to be in the Cusco area its much easier to go to PM as its a short 20 minute flight from Cusco airport.

To get to Iquitos you need to fly back to lima and then catch a 1 1/2 hour flight.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

Almost all tourists are passing through Lima anyways so that does not require an "extra" flight.

However if you have only 3 days 2 nights I don't think it is worthwhile to go to Iquitos since you will want to travel by launch to a lodge (several hours each way depends on how high the water is). Often you will lose most of the first and last day between coordinating flight times and launch times. However if you want to see the actual Amazon River, that is not in PM.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Amazon River
Amazon River
229 Reviews
Iquitos, Peru
17. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2012, 17:03