We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow fever vaccination

Piscataway, New...
4 posts
Yellow fever vaccination

Hi, I am travelling from USA to Brazil(Rio and Iguazu falls) and Peru (cuzco and Iquitos) end of this month. Is the yellow fever vaccine recommended? The side effects are huge as I can read.

Anyone who recently visited the places? Whats your advice?

Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Yellow fever vaccination

Read:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/yellow-fe…

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
342 posts
228 reviews
2. Re: Yellow fever vaccination

Go to the CDC website for accurate information. You are traveling to several places which is too broad to be answered here. The CDC has maps showing where there is yellow fever, so you can figure out whether you need it or not.

Not everyone suffers side-effects. You need to look at the percentage of incidence. It only takes one infected mosquito bite...

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,935 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Yellow fever vaccination

2018 World Health Organization (WHO) Yellow Fever vaccination recommendations for South America:

http://bit.ly/2IgOs6T

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
294 reviews
4. Re: Yellow fever vaccination

"Anyone who recently visited the places? Whats your advice?" no one here is qualified to give advice. Check out your own governement's website for guidance. FWIW mt wife and I have had YF vaccinations and have suffered no side effects whatsoever. Serious side ffects are rare so I am not sure where you are gettin your info from.

The potential effects of YF can be catastrophic so it would be a no brainer for me but each to their own...

SF, CA
Level Contributor
246 posts
161 reviews
5. Re: Yellow fever vaccination

Our family, including kids ages 8 and 11, had yellow fever vaccinations last year for a trip to Africa. We had a little soreness at the injection site, but no other side effects. My understanding is the yellow fever vaccine is actually quite safe. Plus it lasts your entire lifetime. As the previous poster said, it's better safe than sorry.

Reply to: Yellow fever vaccination
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos