We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iquitos to Leticia

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Iquitos to Leticia

Hi Everyone!

We are looking to travel from Iquitos, Peru to Leticia, Colombia by boat along the Amazon. We have a couple of questions that we would like some advice on;

Is this a relatively straight forward journey in terms of border crossings/purchasing boat tickets?

We are looking to make this trip in mid-March (just outside the wet season), will it be too wet at this time?

Are there any recommendations for jungle tours in either Iquitos or Leticia?

And advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Rachel x

9 replies to this topic
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,326 posts
129 reviews
1. Re: Iquitos to Leticia

Are you planning on taking the fast boat or a slow boat? (There are no longer flights).

Jungle tours vary a lot in price. In my experience elsewhere, the more you pay the better the accommodation and food, and usually guides too. Recommended in the Footprint guide are Amazonia, Heliconia, Yarapa, Muyuna. Worth cross-checking reviews here on TA. I have been planning and researching a similar trip for some time, and may finally get round to it this August!

Post on the Leticia forum as well.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Iquitos to Leticia

Thanks for the reply ! We are wanting to get the fast boat but have struggled to find up to date information on them. But we are also open to the slow boat if it’s a more viable option :)

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,326 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: Iquitos to Leticia

My information is that there are now two companies running fast boats, so that there is one every day apart from Mondays. The original company, Golfinho, has a website, but it hasn't been updated for a while:

amazonascolombia.info/iquitos-leticia-speed-…

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Iquitos to Leticia

Awesome thanks a lot! That’s what we were hoping to hear. Not a lot of updated info on the net!

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,326 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: Iquitos to Leticia

Let us know how it went!

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Iquitos to Leticia

Hi there, there is a new ferry service from Iquitos-Leticia vice versa. Due to certain booking problems, they do not allow you to book far ahead in time. http://ferryamazonia.com/destinos.php.

This boat takes about 8 hours, two decks and about 4 stops along the Amazon River. The other options are the smaller speedboat but since the creation of ferry, the schedule has been chaotic . I would recommend using this ferry. The slow boats are insecure and never... ever... follow safety protocol and have little to no respect for passengers wellbeing.

We have a lodge in Oran, Peru downstream from Iquitos. Many times we have the speed boat pick clients from our lodge to take them to Leticia. Also they can be dropped off in Oran to start tour with us.

Unfortunately though, the ferry will not stop in Oran because there is no loading pontoon available.

Just make sure to get your passport stamped in Santa Rosa Peru, the immigration service is awful .

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Iquitos to Leticia

Thanks so much for that information. Very helpful we will be there in the next few days

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
2 reviews
8. Re: Iquitos to Leticia

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for this great information. I'm checking the ferry website now but it keeps telling me there is no route. Any updates from your end? Have they discontinued service to that area?

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,326 posts
129 reviews
9. Re: Iquitos to Leticia

I have checked out the ferry too, and it's also saying there's no route for destinations closer to Iquitos. Could just be a website glitch, so let's hope Anthony can clarify.

Reply to: Iquitos to Leticia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos