We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?

Hi,

Looking for any experience any one has had about whether it's better to book couple nights in a lodge and choose from the tours the lodge offers or if it would be better to book a package deal (e.g. 3 days 2 night packages)?

Also any recommendations for lodges/tours? We want to see the pacaya samiria reserve and are ok with not a super fancy lodge.

Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?

Hi,

we recommend you to book a package deal with lodge and tours, usually the lodges organize very nice tours and they know the area. We can suggest you the following lodges:

- Explorer’s Inn Lodge (Budget)

- Inotawa Lodge (Budget)

- Hacienda Concepción (Middle-range)

- Posada Amazonas (Middle-range)

- Refugio Amazonas (Middle-range)

- Inkaterra Reserva Amazónica (Deluxe)

Regards,

Magical Cuzco Tours Team

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?

If you can book direct with the lodge, then that would be the best way to go, but likely you will mostly find agencies on-line.

You will find lots of options in Iquitos, if you are short on time then you can book in advance through an agency or if the lodge has a website, direct with the lodge. But if you have time, I would just wait until you are in Iquitos to book something, that is what we did, and there was no shortage of availability.

Iquitos Amazon...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?

Iquitos is a destination where you should stay in a lodge and the cost of the stay almost always includes all of your tours, excursions, food, transport, etc. You dont have to book through an agency, many tour operators/lodges have their own websites and allow direct bookings, do a good search and you will find something nice!

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?

I have to disagree a bit with ManitiExpedition, my wife and I spent 9 days in Iquitos and while there did a lodge tour, if you are planing to stay in one of the deep lodges (stays close to a week) then a lodge package is a definite plus, but if you are doing a shorter stay around 4 days, like a lot of people seem to do, then the lodge will be convenient, but 90% of the locations they take you to can easily be reached from one of the ports and by water taxi.

But they are correct in that all of the lodge packages we looked at while there, did include all tours, transportation, lodging and food, so packages do make things a lot easier.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?

Thanks for your helpful comments - we rather book ahead of time but aren't entirely opposed to booking in Iquitos. Is there any lodge you recommend?

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?

Iquitos can actually be very reasonable, my wife and I spent 8 days there and, not including the flights, it cost us less than $275 per-person a day. We used Amazon Camp for our lodge stay and their office is on the main plaza. I did a blog post on our trip, if you would like to read it, let me know and I will send you a link.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
103 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?

You're definitely going to be paying more by booking with an agency ahead of time. Your best bet is definitely to just book a lodge and then organise the tours from there. You won't experience any difficulties in booking any of the tours while actually there in person and will definitely get the same experience for a good bit cheaper!

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?

Just notices a mistake on my post above, our cost was under $275 per-person for the entire 8 days, not per-day, just wanted to correct that for anyone reading.

los angeles
Level Contributor
102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?

Hello, I would like to know about Amazon Camp, I checked your posts but could not find the one you mentioned (I also sent you a PM).

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?

Here Jim, http://www.amazoncamp.net/ I hope the information I sent you helps, and good luck with your search.

Reply to: Book a lodge and do tours or Book a package?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos