We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Tour operator for hiking inca trail

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Florida
11 posts
Save Topic
Best Tour operator for hiking inca trail

Hi we are looking to do the 3N/4D hike. Any recommendations for a good nicer tour operator? We do not want to rough it and not on too tight of a budget..

Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Tour operator for hiking inca trail

Theres no only one Best Tour operator - there are many here recommended.

Check their reviews

Preferably avoid those who have only reviewed once and for one company and then gone - likely to be spammers !

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Tour operator for hiking inca trail

We trekked with Llama Path & thought they were great. Llama Path's Imperial Service is supposed to be better than their Comfort Service -- but I don't know the difference except that porters are included in the fee. Imperial Service will be a private group -- no others except you & yours.

To do the Inca Trail, you still have to "rough it"-- pretty much. Regardless of what company you go with, you will be camping in tents -- there is no alternative on the Inca Trail. Llama Path puts two people in a 4-man tent, (I believe most other agencies do this also). To make your trek a little easier, hire a porter, upgrade sleeping bags & mats (ThermaRest), use hiking poles & bring a silk sleeping bag liner. Llama Path included small camp pillows for our group. Some companies make a big deal about "toilet tents", but I don't see the reason. Not much more than a toilet seat over a bag or can, with a tent-like cover. Think "portable out-house".

A woman in our trek group also brought collapsible cots & booked a separate tent for each person in her party. I don't know how much they paid for the extra porters (for the cots), but I would assume they had about 1 1/2 porters per person. She also brought -- and shared with all -- some box wine! She had previously done the trek with an agency purported to offer a luxury version of the trek, but she thought it was not any more luxurious than Llama Path's, and the guide was much worse (she did not name the agency).

Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Tour operator for hiking inca trail

Hi I did my Inca Trail last July with Flavio at Incaland Adventures http://www.incalandadventures.com/

I had the most amazing and fun experience with owner/guide Flavio. Not only is he very knowledgable about the area but also has a lot of integrity. He is focused on responsible and sustainable travel. This means all his porters are paid, fed, clothed and treated well. They also remove all rubbish and clean everywhere we visited on the trek.

If you want a fun and life changing experience with an honest agency that respects the environment and local people then go Incaland Adventures!

4. Re: Best Tour operator for hiking inca trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 April 2012, 05:05
5. Re: Best Tour operator for hiking inca trail

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 April 2012, 11:37
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,313 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Tour operator for hiking inca trail

Could the user above be the same guide they are thanking in this agency website?

http://www.inkahoots-travel.com/?page_id=2459

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Tour operator for hiking inca trail

Hello,

If you haven't booked your trip yet, I would totally agree with designfusion. We just did a trek in early March with Flavio at Incaland Adventures and were very pleased with Flavio, his knowledge, his integrity, etc. We suffered from some acclimitization sickness. Flavio was very patient, kind, and helpful. The food on our trip was excellent - I was able to eat but unfortunately my husband could only eat small amounts - He was disappointed! It rained all night when we camped but we stayed dry in our tent. I also agree with redhead47 about the toilets or lack of...afterall, you are roughing it. Just bring toilet paper! We found some Coleman Camp tp which were rolls about 1-2" in diameter...they were small enough to pack and came in real handy. Also, even though you may be covered with jacket, hat, etc, use suncreen on your face...we got burnt.

cusco peru
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Tour operator for hiking inca trail

Hi everybody!!

There are many companies that are considered the best, however if you are gonna take a company you have to ask always: are the porters well treated? are they well paid?, and also if the tour guides are well paid?.

There are companies that sell the inca trail tour too expensive and they don't use to pay very well to their tour guides neither porters.

9. Re: Best Tour operator for hiking inca trail

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 05:43